- Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Jerome Seagears' decision to leave Auburn after a few weeks leaves the Tigers in a tough spot. The divorce from Rutgers took its toll on Seagears and he and wants to return closer to home. Auburn isn't going to get someone comparable at this 11th hour. Seagears had spent a lot of time on the decision to leave Rutgers and after a few months chose the Tigers. He lasted two weeks. But there is optimism at Auburn with the hope that the freshmen class can turn the program around (3-15 in the SEC and 9-23 overall last season). Auburn coach Tony Barbee is high on 5-9 freshman Tahj Shamsid-Deen. "He's a big-time winner,'' said Barbee. "A lot of people passed on him. We've got a chance to have a fantastic player who will turn heads.'' Shamsid-Deen is one of six newcomers for the Tigers.
2. UConn and Florida have locked in a home-and-home series that will start at UConn on Dec. 2 and end with the Huskies returning the game during the 2014-15 season. The Huskies have one of the best nonconference schedules and adding the Gators makes it even tougher. The Huskies could end up playing brand names from the SEC, Pac-12 (Stanford), ACC (Maryland) and possibly the Big Ten (Indiana). Meanwhile, the Gators have a stellar slate too with a road game at Wisconsin (Nov. 12), Florida State (Nov. 29), at UConn (Dec. 2), Kansas in the Big 12/SEC Challenge (Dec. 10) and against Memphis in the Jimmy V Classic (Dec. 17).
3. San Diego coach Bill Grier had told his staff he was thrilled that he did not have to coach against Tulane's Josh Davis anymore after facing him in consecutive seasons. But then Davis transferred to San Diego State, and the Aztecs plays USD every year. Davis will be immediately eligible and Grier said Monday he couldn't believe he will have to face him again. San Diego State also plays host to Arizona, Washington, plays at Kansas and goes to the new Wooden Legacy tournament in Fullerton and Anaheim. SDSU coach Steve Fisher said he put off playing a game at Cincinnati for next season to the following season in 2014-15.
1. Jerome Seagears' decision to leave Auburn after a few weeks leaves the Tigers in a tough spot. The divorce from Rutgers took its toll on Seagears and he and wants to return closer to home.