- Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Florida coach Billy Donovan said suspended senior point guard Scottie Wilbekin (9.1 points, 5 assists per game last season) isn't allowed to work out with the team, but he can lift weights on his own and the coaches are still working with him. He's certainly not part of the team in a group sense during his suspension (his second in less than a year). Donovan said Wilbekin has a lot of work to do to get back on the squad -- and that includes maturing and growing up. The Gators have a point guard ready to step in if Wilbekin doesn't get his act together. Kasey Hill, who could end up beating out Wilbekin anyway, will be on campus for summer session next week. Donovan will likely review Wilbekin's status when he returns July 8 from Prague after coaching the United States under-19 team at the FIBA World Championships.
2. The new Big East starts up in less than two weeks -- do you know who the next commissioner will be? Well, neither do the athletic directors, who have been left totally out of the loop. The 10 school presidents have been directing the entire operation, and made a number of runs at professional sports candidates before looking once again at college possibilities. The one person a number of administrators want is the NCAA's Dan Gavitt, who was a longtime associate commissioner in the old Big East. But Gavitt reiterated that he is staying put. The presidents should have done everything in their power to get Gavitt. He would have been perfect, since he understands each of the schools better than most. He also knows the difficulties of scheduling in pro arenas. Managing that issue, leading and organizing the league will be the most pressing issues of the job, since a television negotiation is already done with Fox.
3. Cal was an omission when I was looking at some of the top challengers to Arizona next season in the Pac-12. The Bears anticipate they will have one of their best teams even though Allen Crabbe is gone. They return four starters -- everyone except Crabbe -- and bring in Jabari Bird, who headlines what the staff considers its best recruiting class under Mike Montgomery. Cal does get overlooked quite a bit, but has been in contention the past four season. The Bears have studs Justin Cobbs and Richard Solomon back from a team that finished one game out of first place, in a tie with Oregon and Arizona, last season before losing to Syracuse in the NCAA round of 32.
1. Florida coach Billy Donovan said suspended senior point guard Scottie Wilbekin (9.1 points, 5 assists per game last season) isn't allowed to work out with the team, but he can lift weights on his own and the coaches are still working with him.