- Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Missouri Valley commissioner Doug Elgin said there is no commitment from the Mountain West conference to renew the MWC-MVC challenge. The Valley needs a conference-wide challenge to lock in a quality nonconference game for every team (at least almost every squad). The Valley lost BracketBusters, which provided a significant chance at a quality power-rating game. Elgin said he's hopeful there will be something in its place in the near future (not next season), with some of the best teams from a smaller number of conferences than were in BracketBuster.
2. Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin said the Bearcats have benefited from Sean Kilpatrick playing on the USA World University Games roster, forcing his team to play in pickup games or workouts with another leader. Kilpatrick will be expected to take the big shots for the Bearcats and be a high-volume player. Cronin has consistently read his teams pretty well during his tenure. He senses this team needs other voices and having Kilpatrick in Russia for a few weeks will help.
3. UCLA and Missouri will continue their home-and-home series in Columbia and are in the same event in Las Vegas. They won't play each other, with each instead playing Nevada and Northwestern. Arizona State is already playing Marquette, but the two schools are in the Wooden Legacy in Fullerton and Anaheim, Calif., and will have to be on opposite brackets. Connecticut is playing Washington in Seattle, so the teams won't meet in the first round of the 2K Sports Classic, as UW will play Indiana while Boston College plays UConn in New York City. These home-and-home series are getting harder to schedule. And the tournaments have a tougher time locking in the teams. But it does seem like there have been more repetitive situations like the ones upcoming next season.
1. Missouri Valley commissioner Doug Elgin said there is no commitment from the Mountain West conference to renew the MWC-MVC challenge. The Valley needs a conference-wide challenge to lock in a quality nonconference game for every team (at least almost every squad).