Final: Tennessee 76, Ohio State 73
March, 26, 2010
By Pat Forde | ESPN.com
ST. LOUIS -- Quick postgame thoughts from Tennessee's 76-73 win over Ohio State.
- Tennessee has never advanced to a regional final before.
- This is just another game in a series of thrillers between the two programs. The Volunteers got their revenge today for their 2007 Sweet 16 loss to the Buckeyes. In that one, an Ohio State star (Greg Oden) blocked a shot to end the game. In this one, an Ohio State star (Evan Turner) had a shot blocked to end the game.
- J.P. Prince sealed the victory when he blocked Turner's desperate, off-balance 3-pointer at the buzzer. Prince was exhausted from the effort of guarding the brilliant Turner (31 points) most of the night but found enough to make the big defensive play.
- Turner got almost no help from his teammates in the second half. David Lighty, William Buford and Jon Diebler couldn't make a shot until Lighty made two big baskets to give Ohio State a 70-68 lead. Then Wayne Chism scored four straight, and Turner hit a 3, and Tennessee scored the final four points of the game in the last 31 seconds for the victory.
- The 6-foot-10 Chism exploited a size mismatch by scoring multiple inside baskets over the 6-foot-5 Lighty. Ohio State had no answer inside for the Volunteers.