- Jeremy Lundblad, ESPN Stats and Information
- 0 Shares
Five things to know from Monday’s action:
1. BYU guard Jimmer Fredette's 49 points broke a 48-year-old school record. Bob Skousen previously held the record with 47 points in game in 1961. Fredette’s total is the second most scored in D-I this season behind Rotnei Clarke's 51 points against Alcorn State in Arkansas’ season opener. Fredette added seven rebounds and nine assists. His 49 points plus seven rebounds and nine assists total of 65 are the most for a player this season.
Most points scored in a game this season
2. Al-Farouq Aminu went off for 23 points, 17 rebounds and six blocks in Wake Forest’s win over NC-Greensboro. It was his first career 20-point, 15-rebound game, and the second by an ACC player this season (Miami’s Dwayne Collins). Four games ago against Elon, Aminu was benched to start the game after being late for a walk-through. In the three games since, he is averaging 19.3 PPG and 14.3 RPG.
3. Elliot Williams scored a career-high 27 points in Memphis’ win over IUPUI. The Tigers guard is shooting 56.5 percent from the field in Memphis’ nine wins, but just 30.0 percent in their two losses. Williams is the most improved scorer in the nation, having gone from 4.2 PPG last season at Duke to 20.7 so far in 2009-10. His +16.5 PPG increase is nearly three points greater than the next most improved scorer, Centenary’s David Perez. Tennessee-Martin’s Benzor Simmons is the nation’s third most improved scorer.
Highest PPG increase Div. 1, this season
4. NJIT snapped a 38-game losing streak in true road games with a 65-56 win at Wagner. The Highlanders last true road win came on February 19, 2007 at Longwood. After going 1-59 over the last two seasons combined, NJIT is now 4-8, having defeated Wagner twice. Chris Flores led the way on Monday with a career-high 25 points.
5. All Dwain Williams wanted for Christmas was to get to the free throw line, and its worked. Williams scored 28 points in Hawaii’s 81-62 win over Northwestern State, following up his 36-point performance on Christmas. Williams has done most of his damage from the free-throw line, where he is 27-31 in his last two games. The transfer from Providence had only been to the line 35 times in his first 9 games combined.
Five things to know from Monday’s action:1. BYU guard Jimmer Fredette's 49 points broke a 48-year-old school record. Bob Skousen previously held the record with 47 points in game in 1961.