Monday, October 22, 2012
LSU 10: Week 8
By Gary Laney
Zach Mettenberger fell from the player rankings, but LSU's defenders excelled.
BATON ROUGE, La. -- Our weekly look at LSU's top 10 performers this season up to this point:
1. LB Kevin Minter: Has a team-high 75 tackles to go with three sacks, an interception, 9.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble this season. He had 12 tackles, a sack and an interception against Texas A&M
2. FS Eric Reid: His 11 tackles against Texas A&M give him 50 on the season and he started showing more of a physical presence even though he was nursing a bruised chest.
3. DE Sam Montgomery: He had a quiet game while battling Texas A&M's stud left tackle Luke Joeckel, but he still had a couple of tackles and was credited with half a tackle for loss.
4. LT Josh Dworaczyk: LSU's offensive line continues to perform well with the sixth-year senior healthy and in the lineup.
5. CB Tharold Simon: Had his second interception to go with five tackles against Texas A&M. He's still LSU's best cover guy.
6. DE Barkevious Mingo: Jumped offsides a couple of times, but also picked up his third sack of the season. He forced A&M to have to account for his speed on the edge, which is never easy.
7. RB Jeremy Hill: Makes his debut after back-to-back 100-yard games. He's scored long, late, game-winning touchdowns in each of the last two games.
8. DT Bennie Logan: He had a solid game against Texas A&M with a sack and 1.5 tackles for loss, giving him five TFLs and two sacks on the season.
9. LB Lamin Barrow: Still a tackling machine with 59 on the season after picking up eight stops against Texas A&M. He also recovered a fumble.
10. LG La'el Collins: He forms a solid left side of the offensive line with Dworaczyk, but he might be at his best when he pulls and leads ball carriers through holes on the right side of the line.