Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 21, 2013
By Chantel Jennings | ESPN.com
My dog tried to play with a skunk this week. I think we're all getting stir crazy waiting for the football season.
- Gary Andersen is with a big program at Wisconsin, but he’s still pretty anonymous, writes Pete Thamel. Andersen has solid options at quarterback between Curt Phillips and Joel Stave.
- Senior defensive tackle Ryan Isaac missed spring ball but has caught up in fall camp. Both the offense and the defense are making major strides according to both coordinators. Accountability and discipline are being stressed this season for the Boilermakers, writes Matthew Thomas.
- Bill O’Brien stresses health, keeping several players in red, no-contact jerseys. Penn State players received a history lesson as the team prepares for its opener. O’Brien’s QB philosophy from Year 1 to Year 2 is quite different.
- Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman is convinced he has the nation's two top tight ends in Jeff Heuerman and Nick Vannett. Rusty Miller goes back to the basics and looks at the ABC’s of Ohio State football … really, he goes A through Z. Urban Meyer is using puzzles as a recruiting tool. Former coach Jim Tressel is now teaching a class entitled called “General Principles of Coaching” at Akron.
- Senior right tackle Paul Jorgensen is finally putting it all together, writes Teddy Greenstein. Episode 2 of “The Hunt” is now on YouTube and you can watch the Wildcats run through drills as well as go swimming after practice.
- Nebraska and Michigan are No. 1 and No. 2 when it comes to discrepancies between football and men’s basketball success. The success of Taylor Martinez rests a lot on Ameer Abdullah, and vice versa.
- Sophomore Philip Nelson will be the Gophers’ starting QB. WR Andre McDonald violated team rules and will not practice the rest of fall camp. The Minnesota helmets are getting ready to go and the matte look is pretty nice.
- OL Jack Conklin seems like a quiet kid but is a big trash talker on the field, writes David Drew. Mark Dantonio is forging a connection with Canadians who play American football. MSU took a “fun” team photo after their serious one and it looks like a mosh pit.
- The least expensive ticket on Ticketmaster you can get to Michigan-Notre Dame is $314.15. Michigan will be better with Devin Gardner as QB, says Adam Biggers. Four Michigan players made the 2014 Senior Bowl watch list.
- There are a lot of questions for the Hawkeyes this season, says Tom Dienhart. Kirk Ferentz was almost a baseball player instead of a football coach.
- Indiana is eyeing a bowl game this season, writes Chris Johnson. Shannon Ryan previews the IU football team.
- Illinois went to a water park on its off day and the belly flopping photo will terrify you.
Harbaugh Torn Between NFL, Michigan Job
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State