Big 12 lunchtime links
October, 15, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
Here are some highlights of last weekend's action in case you missed anything.
- Oklahoma defensive tackle Jordan Phillips will likely miss the rest of the season due to a back injury. The Sooners will need some inexperienced defensive tackles to step up in his absence, writes Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman.
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads doesn't sound very excited about facing Baylor this weekend, writes Bobby LaGesse of the Ames Tribune.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson isn't a fan of bye weeks once Big 12 play begins, writes Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- "You can just tell the Big 12 is up for grabs for anyone who wants it," says Oklahoma State's Parker Graham. The Oklahoman's Gina Mizell has the story.
- Bad production on offense has overshadowed a good start by Kansas' defense, says Tom Keegan of KUsports.com.
- Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty showed unusual poise in his first road start, writes John Werner of the Waco Tribune. Bears receiver Corey Coleman was suspended for the first half against Iowa State for a block on KSU's Kip Daily last weekend.
- The Wildcats are tired of coming close but coming up short in losses to Baylor and Oklahoma State, writes Nicolas Wahl of the Manhattan Mercury.
- OU offensive coordinator Josh Heupel might have outsmarted himself against Texas, says John Hoover of the Tulsa World.
- Texas Tech defensive end Branden Jackson is one of the few Red Raiders who knows what to expect when his squad travels to Morgantown, W. Va. this weekend, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- West Virginia has faced one of the toughest schedules in college football thus far, writes Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail.
Oklahoma Soars In opener
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
End 3rd Qtr 1 Florida State 27 Oklahoma State 17 7:17 4th Qtr North Texas 7 Texas 28 Final North Dakota State 34 Iowa State 14 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33 Final Louisiana Tech 16 4 Oklahoma 48 Final Samford 14 TCU 48 Final Central Arkansas 35 Texas Tech 42 Final Stephen F. Austin 16 20 Kansas State 55