Across The Field: Two weeks to go
January, 20, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
The Buckeyes won their showdown against Michigan on the hardwood, but Michigan State on the road was another story. And the recruiting news continues to roll in with just a little more than two weeks until signing day. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- As offseason football conditioning gets ramped up, Urban Meyer is happy with the state of the program.
- Is Braxton Miller the front-runner for the 2013 Heisman?
- Austin Ward continued his Record Resolutions series with Braxton Miller, Drew Basil and Bradley Roby.
- Bard Bournival takes a look at the seven names most likely on the board for the 2013 class.
- The biggest weakness in the recruiting class at the moment is at receiver. And more offers went out.
- On that front, Ohio State is going after recruits from Oregon after Chip Kelly's departure. That includes one of the Ducks' top pledges in Dontre Wilson, who will visit next weekend.
- A former Texas Tech pledge at receiver is also planning to visit.
- They also could go the juco route if Akron native Corey Smith flips.
- And a new Florida prospect could visit.
- ESPN 300 prospect Cornelius Elder breaks down his finalists, one of which is Ohio State.
- The Buckeyes would also like a lineman, and Dan Skipper and Cameron Hunt each could fill that spot. But both are committed elsewhere.
- And, of course, there's also Vonn Bell, who told Kipp Adams good things about his Columbus visit.
- Bournival answers readers' questions about the 2013 class and more in this week's mailbag.
- The OSU-Michigan rivalry continues to play out in recruiting. Bournival and WolverineNation's Tom VanHaaren talked it up on Cleveland ESPN affiliate WKNR.
- The perception is Ohio State is going out of state for recruiting more, but that doesn't mesh with the facts.
- They did go to Michigan for one as the 2014 class got a huge jump-start with the commitment of Damon Webb last Sunday, one of the top defensive backs in the country.
- Offers continue to go out for other 2014 prospects, including a safety from pipeline school Cleveland Glenville, Texas safety, a Texas defensive end, a Michigan receiver, another Michigan receiver, a New Jersey athlete, an Illinois tight end.
- 2014 WR Kyle Berger of Cleveland St. Ignatius has an OSU offer, and he had a long Q&A with NittanyNation's Josh Moyer.
- The Big Ten will consider new division names. And Ohio State AD Gene Smith favors having the Buckeyes and Wolverines in the same division.
- Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett recapped the best and worst of 2012 for the Buckeyes, and Adam Rittenberg made some predictions for 2013.
- Former OSU receiver Verlon Reed will transfer to Findlay. (Toledo Blade)
- OT Reid Fragel pulled out of the Senior Bowl because of an injury. (Dispatch)
- Travis Howard and Nathan Williams played in the East-West Shrine Game. (Lantern)
- Jim Tressel talked about the current Buckeyes on Columbus radio. (WBNS)
- The Buckeyes knocked off Michigan and lost at Michigan State.
- Inside the highlight-reel dunks of Sam Thompson. (Plain Dealer)
- How big a regret was the lack of an offer for Michigan star PG Trey Burke? (Dispatch)
- Aaron Craft's defense decided the showdown with Burke, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- Evan Ravenel excels as instant energy off the bench. (Dispatch)
- The OSU transition game is the cure for poor jump-shooting. (Eleven Warriors)
The Gang's All Here
Ohio State Class Moves Into Top 5
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:00 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State