Across The Field: 10-0 for ninth time
November, 4, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Ohio State is 10-0 for the ninth time in school history, and there's a week off to celebrate it. Three of those teams have gone on to finish unbeaten. Is this year No. 4? This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com. First, as always, our week in review:
Check out previous Across The Field packages here.
Ohio State 52, Illinois 22
- And now for a well-deserved week off, writes Austin Ward.
- This team doesn't have enough playmakers, but 10-0 still means a lot, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Carlos Hyde is now tied for the Big Ten lead in TDs with Braxton Miller and Montee Ball. (Plain Dealer)
- Illinois could never seize the momentum. (Chicago Tribune)
- And Ohio State's win could have an effect on the presidential election, too. (USA Today)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Miller can run like a video-game character and his coach knows he's a Heisman candidate, but Miller knows he needs to learn how to slide effectively.
- Miller is the No. 1 underclassman in college football, according to Mel Kiper and Todd McShay.
- The receivers were a soft spot last season, but they've come a long way.
- Ohio State's "fullbacker" has been a marvel to a guy who knows about playing both ways.
- A heart-to-heart-with Jake Stoneburner paid dividends.
- Ryan Shazier is emerging as a star, writes Brian Bennett.
- The incoming defensive line class looks like a really good one, writes Brad Bournival.
- Bournival's Offered series continued with 2014 linebacker Raekwon McMillan, athlete Gareon Conley and junior college receiver Corey Smith.
- Linebacker help is still needed. A look at the top five on the recruiting radar.
- McMillan talked to DawgNation's Radi Nabulsi about his top five.
- We should hear from 2014 WR Thaddeus Snodgrass this week on his commitment, writes Jared Shanker.
- There's plenty of OSU involvement in the #BlueChipBattles, too.
- Ohio State will host San Diego State in the spot they would have played Vanderbilt next season, and set a series with Boston College in 2020 and 2021.
- And the Buckeyes' basketball season began with an exhibition victory.
- Tim Tebow: Ohio State football fan. And he talks to Urban Meyer and Braxton Miller from time to time. (Plain Dealer)
- There was an unsung hero in the Penn State game, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- You can't help but think what might have been if the Buckeyes weren't on NCAA probation, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch, $)
- And if they had taken that bowl ban last season... (Toledo Blade)
- Devin Smith never covered a punt before, and now is an effective gunner. (Plain Dealer)
- Nathan Williams has a great tutor for his pro ambitions, writes Brandon Castel. (TheOzone.net)
- A player who helped Ohio State to its 1942 national title passed away at age 90. (AP)
- This year's Notre Dame team bears a resemblance to a certain championship team from 10 years ago. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- This year's success has set up plenty of momentum. (Plain Dealer)
- And they have to be considered "special" now, according to Urban Meyer's scale. (Eleven Warriors)
- Every Big Ten school will take a financial hit this year, and it's pretty much Ohio State's fault. (BTN)
- The Buckeyes were a bit flat, but won in their exhibition debut. (Dispatch, $)
- It was a little too close for comfort and sends a warning sign, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch, $)
- Aaron Craft is the scariest defender in the country, writes Myron Medcalf.
- The OSU women are ranked No. 19 by the AP. (Dispatch)
The Gang's All Here
- The women's volleyball team handed Nebraska its first home loss since joining the Big Ten. (Lantern)
- And two former Buckeyes players are in a group that's buying a bank. (Dispatch)
Check out previous Across The Field packages here.
Saban vs. Meyer
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State