Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Dallas Cowboys [Print without images]

Tuesday, April 24, 2012
For Tony Romo, the line has changed

By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas – For most of his career as the Cowboys’ starting quarterback, Tony Romo knew he would see Flozell Adams, Kyle Kosier, Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis and Marc Colombo in front of him on the offensive line.

Over the last three seasons, all of them have departed.

Adams was the first following the 2009 season. Gurode, Davis and Colombo were gone entering the 2011 season. Kosier was released earlier this offseason.

Romo’s 2011 tackles – Doug Free and Tyron Smith – will switch sides in 2012 and there could be a change at center depending on how the Cowboys work the upcoming draft.

In March, the Cowboys signed guards Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings to free-agent contracts.

“I think the coaching staff likes a couple of these guys,” Romo said. “Some of the guys I was with for a long run we had some great football and played in some great football games together and I’ll always be appreciative of Kyle and all those boys. And it’s kind of slowly the start of a new set of people up front.”

Earlier this offseason, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he made a mistake in changing the guard of the line so quickly and moving to a smaller, inexperienced interior. He felt that played with Romo’s thoughts about pressure up the middle.

“I just think you’re comfortable when you have a nice protected pocket,” Romo said. “At times you have that and you’re just always trying to get it to where that part of it feels good all of the time.”

As for the Free-Smith switch, Romo joked, “As long as people don’t touch you I don’t think it matters at all.”