Friday, February 21, 2014
Cowboys have talked to Hatcher, Spencer
By Todd Archer
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dallas Cowboys must address their defensive line in 2014 and have had talks with the agent for Jason Hatcher and Anthony Spencer.
"They've indicated they want them both back," Jordan Woy said, "so we'll see how it goes."
The probability they both return to the only team they have known is slim for a number of reasons. The Cowboys must shed salary-cap space and could find it difficult to match any offer Hatcher receives from another team. Spencer played only 34 snaps in 2013 because of a knee injury that required microfracture surgery.
Hatcher, who turns 32 in July, had his best season with a career-high 11 sacks and was added to the Pro Bowl. He had 48 tackles, seven tackles for loss and 33 quarterback pressures in 15 games.
"He'd like to play there," said Woy, who negotiated a seven-year, $22 million deal for kicker Dan Bailey earlier in the offseason, "but hey, it's free agency and it's going to come down to the contract."
Spencer turned 30 in January and has made close to $20 million the last two seasons as the Cowboys' franchise player. But he enters free agency coming off a major surgery. Woy said Spencer just began running this week after undergoing the surgery last fall.
Woy said Spencer was told by the doctors that his rehab is on the right track and they feel confident he will be able to play. The question is when, which will affect his marketability.
"I think some of the OTA-type stuff he could do limited things in," Woy said. "I don't think he'd be out there full speed but by training camp and the preseason games he'll be back full speed out there."