<
>

John Wes Townley: 'Not the way I want to represent myself'

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- John Wes Townley apologized Friday for his role in a fight during the Camping World Truck Series race Saturday at Gateway Motorsports Park.

Townley and Spencer Gallagher were involved in two on-track incidents, and after the second one, Townley got out of his truck and charged Gallagher. The two wrestled before Townley got in some punches.

NASCAR fined Townley $15,000 and Gallagher $12,500 while putting both on probation for the rest of the season. Gallagher issued an apology Monday, and Townley followed with his Friday.

"I want to apologize to NASCAR and my fans," Townley said in a statement. "That's not the way I want to represent myself, [sponsors] Zaxby's or Jive Communications. I'll try my best to make sure it never happens again.

"I was amazed at the comments from so many drivers who were supportive, most notably Tony Stewart."

Stewart had said that Townley was among his heroes for standing up for himself.

Townley had been scheduled to compete Friday in the Xfinity Series race at Daytona International Speedway but withdrew earlier this week. He said his family-owned team dropped out so it could focus on his Truck and ARCA races next weekend at Kentucky and Iowa.