A few Fiesta Bowl notes
Temperatures are in the high 60s now with blue skies. It's certainly good weather to practice outside and get ready for Monday's Fiesta Bowl.
I'll be here blogging as much as I possibly can the next four days leading up to the Fiesta Bowl. Both teams will practice tomorrow and then the two coaches talk to the media one final time on Sunday before Monday's big game.
A few quick notes:
* Defensive back Rafael Priest has a sprained foot. TCU coach Gary Patterson said it was "possible" Priest could play, but I wouldn't bet on it. Patterson is confident Greg McCoy can handle things.
"Through the season we have had guys step up," Patterson said. "Robert Hanson last year wasn't able to play in the Poinsettia Bowl and Daryl Washington had to start. He ended up having a great season for us this year. That's what good programs do. You've got to move forward."
* Boise State formally announced a contract extension for coach Chris Petersen. It's a five-year deal that takes him through 2014. And well-deserved, I might add.
* Boise State will probably play Brenel Myers at right tackle in place of the injured Garrett Pendergast, who has a broken ankle. Myers' job won't be an easy one: Contain TCU All-American defensive end Jerry Hughes.
* Boise State WR Austin Pettis, nephew of Rangers first-base coach Gary Pettis, remains questionable with an ankle injury. But he could still end up holding on kicks. Hunter White, though, is ready.
* TCU will practice tomorrow afternoon and it's closed to the public and the media. Patterson indicated today that he's getting his team to take off the shoulder pads and allowing them to get a break from some of the physical stuff. This is something TCU has done in the middle of game week all season and something Patterson feels has helped his team's stamina.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.