If only TCU could play Auburn for the title
We now have two undefeated teams, but only one national champion. Don't misunderstand: Auburn deserves its No. 1 ranking. The Tigers beat seven teams in the top-25 and got through the SEC without a blemish. But TCU beat everyone on its schedule, including a Wisconsin team that many considered the best one-loss team in the country. Just picture:
* Auburn QB Cam Newton against TCU's top-ranked defense. Few teams did much to stop Newton, but how might Gary Patterson's defense scheme things up against him? I'd sure like to see that.
* Auburn's running game against TCU's rush defense. Michael Dyer was a big reason Auburn beat Oregon to win the title. Could Auburn's big offensive line muscle TCU's line to create holes in the running game? How might TCU slow down Auburn's ground game?
* How would TCU QB Andy Dalton do against Auburn's secondary? Auburn had a top-10 rushing defense all season, but the pass defense was not nearly as good. Could Dalton take advantage?
* While TCU and Oregon have similar styles of offenses, TCU is deeper at the running back and wide receivers. How would Auburn's defense account for all of the playmakers on the field at the same time for the Frogs?
* Newton is unreal in the open field and has made the zone-read a weapon for the Tigers. But Dalton has been running that play with major success for years now at TCU. It would be interesting to see both run their offenses.
* Think of the storylines about the top-2 defensive players on each team. Nick Fairley dominated Oregon and disrupted the Ducks most of the night. Tank Carder was all over the field against Wisconsin and got his hands on the tw0-point conversion attempt to seal the Rose Bowl.
* It would be the SEC champion against a non-AQ that clearly belongs with the big boys. Wouldn't you tune it to watch that? Too bad it can't happen. If you ask me, it would be a close game between two excellent football teams.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.