Tallying up the record-setting Alamo Bowl
The two teams broke plenty of records, and thanks to ESPN Stats & Information, here's a look at exactly where the Bears and Huskies wrote their names in the record books.
- The teams combined for 1,397 yards of total offense, which broke the FBS bowl record. The previous high was 1,211 yards, set by Arizona and Rutgers in the 2005 Insight Bowl.
- The 123 points scored were the most in bowl history in regulation. The 17 total touchdowns were also a bowl record. The 123 points were 40 more than any previous Alamo Bowl.
- The all-time record was 125 points, but that was a double-overtime game between Marshall and East Carolina in the 2001 GMAC Bowl.
- The two teams tied a bowl record with 12 rushing touchdowns. They're tied with Texas Tech and Air Force in the 1995 Copper Bowl.
- The 64 second-half points tied a bowl record.
- Baylor's 777 total yards of offense is a bowl record, breaking Arizona State's record of 718 in the 1972 Fiesta Bowl. Not a bad way for RG3 to go out, if he does indeed enter the NFL draft. Baylor's 67 points were also a bowl record.
- Baylor's eight rushing touchdowns tied a bowl record.
- Bears running back Terrance Ganaway's five rushing touchdowns tied a bowl record for both rushing touchdowns and total touchdowns scored.
- Washington QB Keith Price's seven touchdowns accounted for a bowl record, as did his 42 points. Four other players held the previous record, with six touchdowns and 36 points.
- The 59 first downs between the two teams was three short of the record of 62, set by NC State and Kansas in the 2003 Tangerine Bowl.
- The two teams were just short of the FBS record for points in regulation, set at 136 points in a 74-62 Navy win against North Texas on Nov. 10, 2007.
If you're not a defensive coach and can stomach it, here's the box score.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.