Big 12 did you know: Week 4
As always, these come courtesy of ESPN Stats and Information and the sports information departments from around the Big 12. Thank you all. We love you.
Let's get to it:
Did you know ...
- Landry Jones is 16-of-21 for 241 yards and two touchdowns when targeting Kenny Stills this season.
- Jones has five completions longer than 20 yards this season. Four are to Stills.
- Jones averages 11.5 yards per attempt to Stills. He averages just 5.4 yards per attempt to every other Sooner receiver.
- Jones hasn't thrown a touchdown pass from outside the pocket against a BCS-conference opponent since UConn in the Fiesta Bowl at the end of the 2010 season.
- In two career games against Kansas State, Jones is completing 74 percent of his passes inside the pocket, compared to his career average of 64.7 percent.
- For his career, Jones is completing 49.6 percent of his passes outside of the pocket, with nine touchdowns and 12 interceptions.
- Kansas State is 6-0 when Collin Klein completes at least 60 percent of his passes inside the pocket.
- Last season versus Oklahoma, Klein was just 8-of-15 for 58 yards inside the pocket.
- Inside the pocket, Klein is 13-of-14 for 211 yards and three touchdowns when targeting Tramaine Thompson.
- In last year's game versus Kansas State, when throwing between five and 15 yards downfield, Jones completed 17 of 23 passes for 257 yards and five touchdowns. Those were all career highs.
- Oklahoma had 232 yards after the catch against Kansas State last year. The Sooners haven't equaled that number since.
- Jones is just 4-of-13 (37.5 percent) on passes longer than 20 yards downfield so far this season, his lowest percentage since 2009.
- Jones has thrown one touchdown and one interception on those deep throws.
- Klein is completing 75 percent of his passes longer than 20 yards downfield, after completing just 43.8 percent of those passes in 2011.
- Klein has thrown three touchdowns and no interceptions on those deep throws.
- When targeting Stedman Bailey, Geno Smith is 22-of-23 for five touchdowns.
- Since the start of last season, Tavon Austin has gained 1,106 of his 1,352 yards after the catch. That's the most of any player on a ranked team.
- When coming off play action, TCU quarterback Casey Pachall is completing 83.3 percent of his passes and averaging 17.9 yards per attempt. Last season, he averaged just 68.5 percent and eight yards per attempt on the same plays.
- Against the blitz this season, Pachall is 9-of-11 for 158 yards and three touchdowns.
- Brandon Carter has just nine catches in two games for the Frogs, but five of those catches have gone for 20+ yards and three for touchdowns.
- Pachall is 5-of-5 for 110 yards and two touchdowns when targeting Carter on throws longer than 15 yards downfield.
- Last week, Texas ran for 300 yards and threw for 300 yards in a road game for the first time in school history.
- This week's game between Oklahoma and Kansas State is the first Big 12 game involving two top 25 teams.
- The Big 12's win percentage in nonconference play is .917.
- Baylor's won nine consecutive home games, the nation's third-longest streak.
- Iowa State is 3-0 in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2000-2001.
- Kansas safety Bradley McDougald had a career-high 12 tackles last week versus TCU, including nine solo stops and two forced fumbles.
- Bob Stoops is 44-2 at home in Big 12 play.
- Last week against Louisiana, Oklahoma State set a school record with 39 first downs.
- TCU's streak of 10 consecutive wins and 25 consecutive conference wins are both the nation's longest winning streaks.
- David Ash threw eight interceptions in 150 attempts last season. This year, he's gone 96 attempts without an interception to start the season.
- Texas Tech ran for 325 yards last week, the most in a game at Tech since 1998.
- When scoring at least 30 points, West Virginia is 77-3 since 2000.
- Smith became the Mountaineers' all-time passing leader last week with 8,191 career passing yards.
- Baylor and Louisiana-Monroe have never played.
- Baylor's eight-game winning streak is the nation's second-longest. Over those eight games, Baylor has thrown 24 touchdowns and four interceptions.
- After last week's win, Baylor is now 10-0 under Phil Bennett when forcing at least two turnovers.
- Since Bennett's arrival, Baylor's forced a turnover in every game. The Bears have forced 25 turnovers in their last seven games.
- The Bears also have a defensive touchdown in each of its first two games.
- Baylor has four receivers on its roster with at least 1,000 career receiving yards.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.