Did you know: Week 5
We love you.
Let's get started. Did you know ...
- There are only two matchups of undefeated teams in college football this weekend. Both are in the Big 12.
- When Geno Smith completes at least 50 percent of his throws 15 yards or longer, West Virginia is 17-0.
- When he completes fewer than 50 percent, the Mountaineers are 5-7.
- Smith is completing 70 percent of his throws 15 yards or longer, scoring touchdowns on 20 percent of the throws, which have gone for an average of 18.3 yards.
- Since the beginning of 2011, Baylor's defense has allowed its five ranked opponents to complete 47.7 percent of their passes at least 15 yards downfield.
- When throwing at least 10 yards downfield, Nick Florence is completing just 49 percent of his passes, all against non-AQ opponents this year.
- His percentage has dropped in each game this year, starting at 64.7 percent against SMU and dropping to 38.5 percent in last week's win over Louisiana-Monroe.
- In two years, Robert Griffin III completed 64 percent of his 159 attempts longer than 10 yards for 28 touchdowns and only two interceptions.
- On those same attempts, Florence already has three interceptions in three games, though he's also thrown for eight touchdowns on passes longer than 10 yards.
- On throws longer than 10 yards last year, Texas' David Ash completed 33.9 percent of his passes for three touchdowns and five interceptions.
- This year, on those same throws, Ash is completing 57.9 percent of his passes for three touchdowns and no interceptions.
- Against Ole Miss, Ash was 6-of-8 for 232 yards on throws longer than 10 yards.
- Last year against Oklahoma State, Ash was 0-8 on throws longer than 10 yards -- with two interceptions to boot.
- Texas backs Joe Bergeron and Malcolm Brown each have exactly 37 carries and three touchdowns.
- Bergeron has 90 percent of his 207 yards inside the tackles, with more than 60 percent coming after contact.
- Brown has 58 percent of his 238 yards outside the tackles, with 76.8 percent coming before contact.
- Brown set a career high with 135 yards against OSU last season.
- When facing five rushers or more, David Ash completed just 52 percent of his passes with no scores and three interceptions last year.
- This year, in the same scenario, Ash is completing 68 percent of his passes for two touchdowns and no picks.
- When blitzing this year, Oklahoma State is allowing opponents to complete 56.6 percent of their passes, including over 46 percent on third down.
- Oklahoma State is tied with Oregon for the most touchdown drives lasting two minutes or less since 2011, with 61.
- Texas, meanwhile, has five touchdown drives of 10 plays or more this season. That's the most in the Big 12 and eighth-most in the nation.
- Baylor and Oklahoma State are the only teams to earn multiple touchdown drives of two minutes or less against Texas in the last two seasons.
- Opponents average starting field position vs. TCU: Its own 20-yard line. That's the best mark in the nation, but it also helps when the Frogs turn the ball over six times in the red zone in two games.
- Since the beginning of the 2009 season, TCU hasn't allowed a rushing touchdown of 40 yards or longer. Only two other teams have duplicated that feat.
- TCU has allowed just 25 plays of longer than 20 yards this season. That's the fourth-best mark in the country.
- TCU quarterback Casey Pachall is completing 73.7 percent of this throws longer than 15 yards. Last year, he completed 53.6 percent of the same throws.
- Texas Tech and Iowa State have only met 10 times, with Tech holding a 7-3 advantage.
- Texas Tech has opened conference play on the road in six of the last seven seasons.
- Safety Cody Davis has 39 career starts, 11 more than any other Red Raider.
- Paul Rhoads is the first Iowa State coach to ever take the Cyclones to bowl games in two of his first three seasons.
- Iowa State is 18-1 under Paul Rhoads when holding opponents under 24 points. When allowing more than 24 points, they're just 3-19 under Rhoads.
- West Virginia is 9-4 all-time against the Big 12, and no Big 12 team has a winning record against the Mountaineers, who have never played Baylor or Iowa State.
- The last time Baylor made the top 25 in three consecutive seasons was 1974-76.
- Baylor's nine-game winning streak is the second-longest in school history and the nation's second-longest active streak, behind only TCU, at 11 games.
- If Texas wins on Saturday, it will be 4-0 for the ninth time in 12 seasons.
- Since the beginning of the 2009 season, Texas is 18-0 when winning the turnover battle.
- The Longhorns have won 10 consecutive games when forcing at least two turnovers.
- Texas is 22-4 all-time against Oklahoma State, its second best record against a Big 12 team. The only better mark is the Longhorns 8-1 record against Iowa State.
- The last team to beat TCU, before its 11-game win streak? SMU, the same team it plays on Saturday.
- Last year, TCU finished outside the nation's top 10 in scoring defense for the first time since 2005. Through three games this year, the Frogs have given up just 4.3 points a game and lead the nation.
- Casey Pachall has at least 300 passing yards in each of his past two starts. In his first 14 starts, he had 300 yards twice.
- Since returning from the death penalty, SMU is 2-32-1 against ranked teams. Both wins have come vs. TCU, in 2005 and in 2011.
- Texas A&M’s Dustin Harris' 96-yard punt return for a touchdown against South Carolina State is the longest in the FBS this season.
- Texas A&M and Arkansas have played 68 previous times, with Arkansas holding a 41-24-3 series advantage.
- The teams have played three years straight prior to this year, with the Razorbacks winning all three meetings.
- Arkansas and Navy are the only schools in the NCAA to have a 1.000 winning percentage in Texas since the start of the 2009 season with a minimum of four games played in the state.
- Aggies junior defensive end Damontre Moore leads the nation in sacks per game (2.0) and is tied for the national lead in tackles for loss per game (2.67).
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.