Big 12 did you know? Week 6
As always, these are courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info, as well as sports information departments around the Big 12. You make your readers the smartest people at their tailgates. We love you.
Did you know ...
- Since 2004, Oklahoma is 18-0 coming off a regular-season loss. Bob Stoops has never suffered consecutive Big 12 losses.
- Oklahoma is 2-4 on the road against Texas Tech under Stoops.
- On passes thrown longer than 15 yards this season, Geno Smith has nine touchdowns and eight incompletions.
- Smith completed just 45 percent of his throws longer than 15 yards in 2011. In 2012, he's completing 72 percent of those same passes.
- Against Baylor, Smith was 7-of-9 for 311 yards and five touchdowns on throws longer than 15 yards.
- Smith has targeted Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey on 61 percent of his passes this season.
- The duo has accounted for 1,195 receiving yards this year, which is more than 76 FBS teams.
- Together, they have 17 touchdown catches, more than any team in FBS.
- Smith has completed 19 of 20 passes for 320 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions when throwing out of an empty backfield.
- Last year, on those same attempts, Smith was 16-of-25 for 194 yards with no touchdowns and three interceptions.
- Last season, Texas quarterback David Ash's passes averaged 8.8 yards in the air.
- This year, his passes average 6.1 yards in the air.
- He's completing 78 percent of his passes, versus 56.6 percent last year.
- When blitzed, Ash is completing 75 percent of his passes for three touchdowns and no interceptions. Against Oklahoma State, he was 10-of-12 for 115 yards and a touchdown.
- Last year, Ash completed 52 percent of his passes for three interceptions and no touchdowns when blitzed.
- In goal-to-go situations since last season, Collin Klein has scored touchdowns on 27 of his 53 rush attempts.
- Last year, he had four touchdowns on five rushes in goal-to-go situations against Kansas.
- Klein completed only 47.5 percent of this throws longer than 15 yards the past two seasons, but against Kansas, Klein completed 5 of 7 passes for 141 yards and a touchdown.
- TCU's average start position on its drives this year is on the 40-yard line, the best mark of any FBS team.
- TCU remains one of just three teams that hasn't surrendered a touchdown run of at least 40 yards since 2009.
- Texas Tech has given up just two plays longer than 25 yards this season, the best of any defense in the FBS.
- Oklahoma has gone three-and-out just four times this season, tied for the second fewest in FBS.
- Texas Tech? The Red Raiders have just two three-and-outs on offense, the best mark in the FBS.
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads was born 10 minutes from Jack Trice Stadium.
- Iowa State broke up 3.9 passes per game last season. This season, the Cyclones are breaking up 6.5 passes per game.
- ISU is holding opponents to just 22-of-71 on third downs this season. That ranks 23rd nationally and fourth in the Big 12, behind TCU, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.
- Kansas leads the all-time series with Kansas State, 65-39-5, and it's been split, 4-4, in the last eight meetings.
- If Kansas loses, the Jayhawks will be 573-573-58 all-time, a win percentage of exactly .500.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.