Big 12 did you know? Week 6
As always, these are courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info, as well as sports information departments around the Big 12. You make your readers the smartest people at their tailgates. We love you.
Did you know ...
- Since 2004, Oklahoma is 18-0 coming off a regular-season loss. Bob Stoops has never suffered consecutive Big 12 losses.
- Oklahoma is 2-4 on the road against Texas Tech under Stoops.
- On passes thrown longer than 15 yards this season, Geno Smith has nine touchdowns and eight incompletions.
- Smith completed just 45 percent of his throws longer than 15 yards in 2011. In 2012, he's completing 72 percent of those same passes.
- Against Baylor, Smith was 7-of-9 for 311 yards and five touchdowns on throws longer than 15 yards.
- Smith has targeted Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey on 61 percent of his passes this season.
- The duo has accounted for 1,195 receiving yards this year, which is more than 76 FBS teams.
- Together, they have 17 touchdown catches, more than any team in FBS.
- Smith has completed 19 of 20 passes for 320 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions when throwing out of an empty backfield.
- Last year, on those same attempts, Smith was 16-of-25 for 194 yards with no touchdowns and three interceptions.
- Last season, Texas quarterback David Ash's passes averaged 8.8 yards in the air.
- This year, his passes average 6.1 yards in the air.
- He's completing 78 percent of his passes, versus 56.6 percent last year.
- When blitzed, Ash is completing 75 percent of his passes for three touchdowns and no interceptions. Against Oklahoma State, he was 10-of-12 for 115 yards and a touchdown.
- Last year, Ash completed 52 percent of his passes for three interceptions and no touchdowns when blitzed.
- In goal-to-go situations since last season, Collin Klein has scored touchdowns on 27 of his 53 rush attempts.
- Last year, he had four touchdowns on five rushes in goal-to-go situations against Kansas.
- Klein completed only 47.5 percent of this throws longer than 15 yards the past two seasons, but against Kansas, Klein completed 5 of 7 passes for 141 yards and a touchdown.
- TCU's average start position on its drives this year is on the 40-yard line, the best mark of any FBS team.
- TCU remains one of just three teams that hasn't surrendered a touchdown run of at least 40 yards since 2009.
- Texas Tech has given up just two plays longer than 25 yards this season, the best of any defense in the FBS.
- Oklahoma has gone three-and-out just four times this season, tied for the second fewest in FBS.
- Texas Tech? The Red Raiders have just two three-and-outs on offense, the best mark in the FBS.
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads was born 10 minutes from Jack Trice Stadium.
- Iowa State broke up 3.9 passes per game last season. This season, the Cyclones are breaking up 6.5 passes per game.
- ISU is holding opponents to just 22-of-71 on third downs this season. That ranks 23rd nationally and fourth in the Big 12, behind TCU, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.
- Kansas leads the all-time series with Kansas State, 65-39-5, and it's been split, 4-4, in the last eight meetings.
- If Kansas loses, the Jayhawks will be 573-573-58 all-time, a win percentage of exactly .500.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Bob Stoops' recent comments about the SEC and the pending college football playoff, what appears to be an unpredictable Big 12 in 2013, how the Aggies will handle expectations and more.
Play Podcast Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin talks about the improvements being made to Kyle Field, what those improvements will to for the program, the success of last year, Johnny Manziel's offseason and the expectations for the Aggies in 2013.
Play Podcast Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo talk about Texas A&M's decision to expand its stadium and say although the Aggies had a fantastic year, the school must also be careful not to overextend its resources based on a single hot stretch.
Play Podcast Baylor head coach Art Briles joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss what kind of player the Cowboys are getting in Terrance Williams.
Play Podcast Arlington and Texas A&M product Luke Joeckel, the potential No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft, joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Richard Durrett to discuss the draft, coaches and advice from his dad.
Play Podcast Florida Gulf Coast athletic director Ken Kavanagh joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his school's Cinderella story and playing in the Sweet 16 at Cowboys Stadium.
Play Podcast Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby joins Fizsimmons & Durrett to discuss Cowboys Stadium as a venue, the state of Big 12 basketball, the new 2014 college football format, why there's no hurry to have a Big 12 football championship and much more.
Play Podcast Jay Bilas joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the remaining 16 teams in the NCAA tournament, the intrigue surrounding the Northwest Region and the excitement over FGCU, even though a similar story happens every year.