Big 12 did you know: Week 11
Time for another round of fun facts and tidbits about this weekend's games. As always, these come courtesy of our fantastic Stats & Information crew at ESPN, as well as various sports information departments across the Big 12.
We love you. You make your readers the smartest folks at their tailgates. Let's get to the facts!
Did you know...
- Kansas State now officially ranks first or tied for first in FBS in penalties per game, turnover margin, points off turnovers and average starting field position.
- The Wildcats have scored 111 points off turnovers and surrendered zero.
- TCU ranks second nationally in average starting position. Its drives start at an average of its own 38-yard line.
- Kansas State ranks in the top three in FBS in both kick-return average (30.0 yards per return) and punt-return average (24.9).
- TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin is 11-of-33 on throws longer than 20 yards since becoming the team's starter.
- Boykin hasn't completed more than 50 percent of those throws in any game this season.
- Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein has completed more than 50 percent of his throws longer than 20 yards in four consecutive games this season, and six overall.
- Before leaving the team, TCU quarterback Casey Pachall was 9-of-14 on throws longer than 20 yards.
- Klein averaged 24.4 carries a game last year. This year, he's down to 15.4 carries a game.
- Klein is averaging more than a full yard more per carry than he did last year. He's averaging 5.0 yards a carry this year, vs. 3.6 in 2011.
- Klein has accounted for 65.1 percent of Kansas State's offense this season.
- Klein has run the ball 66 times the past season and a half in goal-to-go situations. He's scored touchdowns on 33 of those carries, the best mark in the FBS.
- Baylor receiver Terrance Williams leads the nation with 24 catches longer than 20 yards this season, and 10 catches longer than 40 yards.
- Baylor WR Tevin Reese is fourth nationally with seven catches of at least 40 yards.
- Against Iowa State, Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones completed six passes longer than 20 yards, and four for touchdowns. Both of those were career highs.
- Before that game, Jones had just 10 such completions for two touchdowns all season.
- In the past two seasons, Jones has ranked in the FBS top five in completions longer than 30 yards.
- This season, Jones has 12 completions longer than 30 yards -- 49th in the FBS.
- Texas has scored 46 touchdowns on offense in nine games this year. It scored 40 in 2011.
- Texas' 91 missed tackles are now 18 more than any other Big 12 team.
- Kansas has 13 drives this season with at least 10 plays that did not result in points. No other FBS team has more.
- Texas Tech has 1,537 yards after catch, third most among AQ schools.
- Seth Doege has 21 touchdowns inside the red zone, the most in FBS.
- Oklahoma State has a touchdown drive of 2 minutes or less in 35 consecutive games.
- The Big 12's cumulative averages for punt returns (12.95) and kick returns (22.94) lead the nation.
- 35.8 percent of the Big 12's touchdown drives this season have taken five plays or fewer and covered at least 50 yards.
- Iowa State has only lost three games under Paul Rhoads when it wins the turnover battle. Oklahoma has two of those wins.
- Chris Canty against Akron in 1995 was the last K-State cornerback with three interceptions in a single game until Allen Chapman duplicated the feat against Oklahoma State last week.
- Bob Stoops can pass Bud Wilkinson on the all-time wins list this week. He's 12 wins short of tying Barry Switzer for the school record.
- Since 2004, Oklahoma is 20-0 following a loss.
- Oklahoma State receiver Charlie Moore has caught a touchdown in four consecutive games.
- TCU cornerback Jason Verrett already has five interceptions this season. No TCU player has done that since 2005.
- Texas Tech has played five consecutive ranked opponents. This week, it gets Kansas.
- West Virginia's last overtime game before last week came against Connecticut on Oct. 29, 2010. It lost, 16-13.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.