Big 12 did you know: December bowl edition
We're only tackling the Big 12 games in December today. We'll hit the January games a little later.
- In wins, Geno Smith has completed 69 percent of his throws longer than 15 yards. In losses, he's completed 22 percent of those same throws.
- Syracuse's defense has given up 39 percent of throws longer than 15 yards.
- Smith is 0-2 against Syracuse and threw at least two interceptions and completed fewer than 60 percent of his passes in both games.
- When the Orange blitzed, he completed just 45 percent of his passes with three interceptions. Smith completed 65.4 percent of his passes while blitzed over the rest of his career.
- Smith has completed 106-of-141 passes to Stedman Bailey and 110-of-140 passes to Tavon Austin. Austin has 909 of his 1,259 yards after the catch. Bailey has 553 of his 1,501 yards after the catch.
- Eleven of Bailey's 23 touchdown catches came on throws longer than 15 yards.
- West Virginia's defense gave up 63 passes longer than 20 yards. No team has allowed that many since Nevada gave up 70 back in 2008.
- In losses this season, David Ash has thrown four interceptions and no touchdowns on throws longer than 10 yards.
- He's completed just 33 percent of those attempts longer than 10 yards in losses, compared to 56 percent in wins. He has eight touchdowns and two picks in wins on those throws.
- Running back Joe Bergeron averages 4.7 yards a carry between the tackles. The rest of Texas' team averages just 2.6 yards.
- Texas has run inside the tackles on 69 percent of its running plays this year, but has 32 more rushing yards this season outside the tackles.
- Texas' defense gave up 38 plays longer than 20 yards and missed 81 tackles in 13 games last season.
- This season, Texas' defense gave up 61 plays longer than 20 yards and missed 105 tackles in 12 games.
- Michigan State running back Le'Veon Bell's 833 yards after contact lead the FBS.
- TCU QB Trevone Boykin averages 7.3 yards a scramble, and 9.4 yards on third downs. He's averaging 4.1 yards a carry on designed runs.
- Michigan State opponents have gained yardage on just 56.7 percent of their plays this season, the lowest percentage in the FBS.
- Baylor quarterback Nick Florence has an FBS-best 19 touchdown passes longer than 20 yards, and he's thrown at least two in seven of 12 games this year. Last year, Robert Griffin III had 22 touchdown passes of at least 20 yards.
- Florence has completed 26-of-45 passes longer than 20 yards downfield to Terrance Williams. His 26 catches of that length lead the FBS.
- Florence is just 18-of-54 on passes longer than 20 yards down field to the rest of the team.
- Williams' 14 catches longer than 40 yards also lead FBS.
- Baylor has scored 19 of its 69 touchdowns in one minute or less.
- Baylor has 53 plays longer than 30 yards, the most in FBS.
- Baylor has scored on 49 percent of its possessions (3rd in FBS) and have just 15 three-and-outs, the fewest in the FBS. The Bears have never had more than two three-and-outs in a game this season.
- This year is the seventh in eight years that at least eight Big 12 teams will play in bowl games.
- Every team that beat a Big 12 team in 2012 is eligible for a bowl game.
- Every Big 12 team has reached a bowl game since 2008.
- Big 12 offenses have averaged at least 30 points a game in four of the past five seasons.
- Baylor and UCLA have never met.
- Baylor has seven wins in three consecutive seasons for the first time since 1949-51.
- Iowa State won three road games this season for the first time since 2001.
- Kansas State has played in 16 bowl games. Bill Snyder was the head coach for 14 of them.
- TCU is one of just three programs to win six bowl games in the past seven years.
- Texas is 8-2 in its last 10 bowl games.
- This is West Virginia's fifth game ever at the home of the New York Yankees.
- Texas Tech won the only meeting ever against Minnesota, erasing a 31-point, second-half lead for a win in the 2006 Insight Bowl.
- Texas is 2-0 all-time against Oregon State. Iowa State is 2-0 all-time against Tulsa.
- Michigan State is 1-0 all-time against TCU.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.