Best Big 12 in-game atmospheres of 2012
This list is naturally predisposed to include close games, which Bill Snyder Family Stadium didn't see enough of this season. That's why Kansas State fans didn't make an appearance, though games against Texas Tech and Oklahoma State weren't far off.
1. Kansas State at Oklahoma: The Sooners fans were in full throat when they realized early on that Kansas State meant business and could win this game. This was one of the best games of the season, and the Sooners fans provided a great atmosphere for it to take place. The team just didn't show up quite as well as the fans.
2. Texas at Oklahoma State: I was down on the field for the final few minutes of this one, including Texas' crazy comeback. Kevin Durant and Serge Ibaka made the trip to Stillwater, too, but Oklahoma State fans wanted this one bad. It was obvious. They didn't get the win, but they did earn a lot of respect with a crazy-loud night in Oklahoma.
3. West Virginia at Texas: Odd that the top three games on this list all involved home teams that didn't win, but Texas fans were undefeated and ready for Geno Smith in this showdown of undefeateds. West Virginia got the best of Texas late, but a handful of big plays on defense early ignited this crowd, landing it at No. 3 on our list.
4. Oregon vs. Kansas State (Fiesta Bowl): You've got to love this game and this stadium. The pregame atmospheres for these are always fantastic, and that was the case with the Fiesta Bowl. A kickoff return for a touchdown got the Oregon fans started, and Kansas State's second-quarter rally provided a solid answer for the folks in purple. The second half wasn't quite as intense, but it was still a memorable game.
5. Kansas State at Baylor: Baylor loses points for not filling the stadium here, but the fans who showed were loud and stormed the field after the season-making upset. The second half was delirious, especially when Lache Seastrunk broke it open with an 80-yard score. It seemed like Baylor fans couldn't believe what they were watching, but big play after big play and a huge defensive performance buoyed this crowd.
Games I attended:
- Week 1: SMU at Baylor
- Week 2: Miami at Kansas State
- Week 3: Home
- Week 4: Kansas State at Oklahoma
- Week 5: Texas at Oklahoma State
- Week 6: West Virginia at Texas
- Week 7: West Virginia at Texas Tech
- Week 8: Kansas State at West Virginia
- Week 9: Texas Tech at Kansas State
- Week 10: Oklahoma State at Kansas State
- Week 11: Kansas State at TCU
- Week 12: Kansas State at Baylor
- Week 13: Home
- Week 14: Oklahoma at TCU
- Bowls: Oregon vs. Kansas State (Fiesta Bowl) and Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma (Cotton Bowl)
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.