The top 25 players in the Big 12: No. 4
Here's more on my criteria.
Let's move on with the list:
No. 4: Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma
2012 numbers: Helped Oklahoma's offense rack up 6,482 total yards, good for fourth in the Big 12. Anchored an offensive line that gave up just 15 sacks on 571 pass attempts, third-fewest in the Big 12.
Most recent ranking: Ikard was No. 9 in our postseason list of the Big 12's top 25 players.
Making the case for Ikard: Ikard is a coaches' dream. What more could Oklahoma ask from him? As a redshirt freshman in 2010, he started 12 games at left guard and earned freshmen All-American honors after logging 72 knockdowns. He had 88 the next season, but had to move to center after Ben Habern suffered an injury. In the middle of fall camp the next season, Ikard made the move from guard to center again after Habern retired from the game because of injuries.
He was one of the Big 12's best as a junior and earned an All-Big 12 first-team nod. Oh, and he's an Academic All-American, too. He's a converted tight end who has added about 50 pounds since signing with the Sooners, and now holds together the middle of the Sooners' line at 6-foot-3 and 298 pounds. He's done everything Oklahoma's needed him to do, and he's excelled at it all. Now, he's one of the Big 12's best overall talents.
The rest of the list:
- No. 5: Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
- No. 6: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
- No. 7: John Hubert, RB, Kansas State
- No. 8: James Sims, RB, Kansas
- No. 9: Ty Zimmerman, S, Kansas State
- No. 10: Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
- No. 11: Trey Millard, FB/RB/TE, Oklahoma
- No. 12: Kerry Hyder, DL, Texas Tech
- No. 13: Josh Stewart, WR, Oklahoma State
- No. 14: BJ Finney, C, Kansas State
- No. 15: Eric Ward, WR, Texas Tech
- No. 16: Cornelius Lucas, LT, Kansas State
- No. 17: Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor
- No. 18: Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State
- No. 19: Jalen Saunders, WR/PR, Oklahoma
- No. 20: Quandre Diggs, CB/PR, Texas
- No. 21: Tyler Lockett, WR/KR, Kansas State
- No. 22: Justin Gilbert, CB/KR, Oklahoma State
- No. 23: Le'Raven Clark, OG, Texas Tech
- No. 24: Shaun Lewis, LB, Oklahoma State
- No. 25: Damien Williams, RB, Oklahoma
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.