Big 12 Week 9: Did you know?
- Opponents average an AQ-low 4.2 yards per attempt when passing off play action against Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are one of five AQ teams that have not allowed a touchdown off a play-action pass this season.
- Texas Tech is averaging 220.9 yards after catch per game, second most among AQ teams. The Red Raiders had 266 such yards last week against West Virginia, their second most in a game this season (288 vs. Stephen F. Austin).
- Blake Bell is completing 25.8 percent of his passes thrown 15 yards or longer this season, second lowest by a Big 12 quarterback (minimum 25 attempts). Bell has one completion in his last 12 such passes dating back to Week 6 against TCU.
- Bell has a 62.4 third-down Total QBR this season, which is slightly lower than the Big 12 average of 62.7. One reason why Bell is not higher was he posted a 0.1 third-down Total QBR against Texas. In that game, he had more interceptions (2) than completions (1) on eight third-down attempts.
- Oklahoma leads the Big 12 with 3.6 yards before contact per designed run this season. The Sooners have 73 designed runs on which first contact was not made until 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, tied with Baylor for the most in the Big 12.
- Oklahoma State scored a touchdown on all 15 of its red-zone drives in its first three games. In their last three games, the Cowboys have scored a touchdown on 5-of-16 red-zone drives (31.3%), including 2-of-7 drives last week against TCU.
- Oklahoma State has scored a touchdown on 73 percent of its red-zone drives with J.W. Walsh at quarterback and 44 percent with Clint Chelf under center.
- Iowa State has allowed 12 touchdowns of 20 yards or longer, five more than any other Big 12 team. Oklahoma State has 33 such touchdowns since the start of last seasons, tied for ninth most in the FBS.
- Baylor, Washington State and Texas A&M are the only AQ teams that have had at least 150 yards after the catch in every game this season.
- Bryce Petty has completed 60 percent of his passes thrown 25 yards or longer this season, best among AQ quarterbacks with at least 20 attempts. He has nine touchdowns on such passes, tied with Stanford’s Kevin Hogan for the most in the FBS.
- Baylor averages a play every 20.3 seconds, tied for the eighth-fastest pace in the FBS. In the first half, the Bears are even faster, averaging a play every 16.2 seconds, which is more than one second faster than any other FBS team.
- Baylor averages 42.8 points per game in the first half, which is more than 114 FBS teams average in a game. In the first half, Baylor has scored a touchdown on 68 percent of its drives, by far the highest percentage in the FBS. Oregon ranks second with a touchdown on 54 percent of its first-half drives.
- Baylor running back Lache Seastrunk averages 3.6 yards after contact per rush, best among AQ running backs with at least 75 carries.
- Seastrunk has made it at least 5 yards past the line of scrimmage before first contact on 39 percent of his rushes, the highest percentage among AQ running backs with at least 75 carries.
- Bears receiver Antwan Goodley has gained 451 yards after the catch, most among AQ wide receivers.
- A win over Iowa State would make Oklahoma State bowl-eligible for the eighth straight season, a school record.
- OSU is allowing 1.1 points and 24.49 yards per drive to opponents this season.
- 78.8 percent of OSU’s third-down plays defended have been third-and-medium (4-6 yards) or third-and-long (7+ yards).
- OSU ranks No. 2 nationally in explosive plays allowed (20 yards or more from scrimmage) behind Florida State.
- Josh Stewart passed Dez Bryant on OSU’s all-time receptions list with his 10-catch performance against TCU. The junior has 151 catches during his career, ranking sixth on OSU’s all-time list.
- Stewart is averaging 16.4 yards per touch this season.
- Stewart’s 95-yard punt return against TCU is a OSU and Big 12 record.
- OSU is the third straight ranked opponent on Iowa State’s schedule. Texas is the lone unranked squad the Cyclones will have faced in October.
- Only one player on the Cyclones offensive line, Daniel Burton, has started every game. ISU has had a different starting offensive line in all six games this season.
- Jeremiah George leads the Big 12 in tackles per game at 11.5. The ISU linebacker ranks fifth nationally in that category.
- ISU is one of two teams to have two players averaging double digit tackles (George and Jacques Washington).
- ISU defeated OSU 37-31 in the teams’ last meeting in Ames, Iowa. OSU was the No. 2 team in the BCS at the time, making the win one of the best in Cyclones’ history.
- Baylor’s 71 points were the most ISU has given up since allowing 77 to Nebraska in 1997.
- Sam Richardson had taken every snap for the Cyclones until Grant Rohach replaced him against Baylor in his first career appearance.
- ISU coach Paul Rhoads is 4-17 against ranked opponents.
- Oklahoma and Texas Tech have split their last six meetings with the Red Raiders snapping OU’s 39-game win streak with a 41-38 victory in Norman, Okla. in their last meeting at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Oct. 22, 2011. OU won 41-20 in Lubbock last season.
- TTU’s 7-0 record assures the Red Raiders of a winning season for the 18th time in 19 years.
- Kliff Kingsbury is the first coach in Big 12 history to win his first seven games.
- The Red Raiders have already surpassed their turnover total from 2012. Their 12 forced turnovers are one more than the 11 they forced a year ago.
- TTU leads the major BCS conferences with four different Red Raiders with 30 receptions in Jace Amaro (56), Eric Ward (37), Bradley Marquez (33) and Jakeem Grant (30).
- Texas Tech and Baylor are the lone Big 12 teams ranking in the top 30 nationally in total offense and total defense.
- Amaro’s nine receptions for 136 yards against West Virginia made him the second Red Raider with at least eight receptions in six straight games.
- Davis Webb is the first freshman in Tech history to pass for more than 400 yards twice in a season. He passed for 462 against WVU and 415 against Iowa State in back-to-back TTU wins.
- Oklahoma is 17-1 in Big 12 games at home in October under Bob Stoops. The Red Raiders are the only Big 12 team with a October victory over Stoops in Norman.
- The 16 passing yards allowed to Kansas is the second-lowest total at OU during the Stoops era.
- OU has averaged 213.4 rushing yards per game in six home games against TTU under Stoops.
- Heads up, Kliff Kingsbury. Stoops is 22-1 in his first meetings with Big 12 coaches since 2000. Oklahoma State’s Les Miles was the lone victor in his initial meeting with OU’s veteran coach.
- OU defensive end Matt Dimon’s blocked punt against Kansas was the Sooners’ first blocked punt since Corey Nelson blocked a punt against Texas A&M in 2010.
- LaColton Bester’s 47-yard touchdown throw to Sterling Shepard was the first touchdown pass by a Sooners’ non-quarterback since 2003.
- West Virginia is 6-5 in road games under Dana Holgorsen.
- Kansas State is 15-6 in games after bye weeks under Bill Snyder.
- Since 1990, K-State is 141-27 when scoring first and 2-1 this season.
- The Wildcats have converted 36 of 68 third-down conversion attempts (53 percent) in their last five games.
- KSU has returned a kickoff for a touchdown in nine straight seasons. Tramaine Thompson continued the streak this year with a 94-yard return against Louisiana-Lafayette.
- Daniel Sams’ 199 rushing yards was the second most by a Kansas State quarterback. He had zero negative yards in the game.
- West Virginia is making its first trip to Manhattan, Kan., to play the Wildcats on Saturday.
- A win at Kansas would set a school record for consecutive wins for Baylor (10).
- The Bears have started 6-0 for the first time since 1980.
- BU is 3-0 in the Big 12 for the first time ever.
- Baylor ranks No. 1 nationally in points per game (64.7), yards (714.3) and yards per play (9.06).
- Baylor has won six straight Big 12 games, a school record.
- Baylor is second in the FBS and first in the Big 12 in tackles for loss per game (9.2).
- The Bears lead the nation in three-and-outs forced at 7 per game.
- Baylor has gained at least 400 yards for 33 straight games.
- Baylor has five 3-and-outs in 89 drives this year, leading the nation.
- BU has four 70-point games this season. The school had three 70-point games in its 111 years of football before this year.
- Bears quarterback Bryce Petty leads the nation in yards per completion (19.83) and leads the Big 12 in passing yards (337.2) and completion percentage (70.8).
- Tevin Reese has 22 touchdown receptions -- 20 of those touchdown catches were 40 yards or more. He averages 53.38 yards per career touchdown catch.
- Aaron Jones has the NCAA’s longest active streak of 155 straight made PATs, a school record.
- KU is 8-7 in games on Oct. 26.
- KU’s defense hasn’t allowed a opponent to score on its first drive this season after forcing OU to punt last Saturday.
- KU held the Sooners scoreless until the 7:05 mark in the second quarter, the longest the Jayhawks have held an opposing team scoreless this season.
- Jayhawk running back James Sims has two 100-yard games against OU and his 129-yard effort against the Sooners was his 13th 100-yard game.
- Sims became the fourth player in KU history to surpass 3,000 career rushing yards against the Sooners. He is fourth on KU’s all-time rushing list.
- Texas is 20-5 following regular-season bye weeks under Mack Brown.
- Texas is playing at TCU for the first time since 1994 when both schools were in the Southwest Conference.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson is 1-1 against Texas.
- TCU will play a home game at night for the first time this season after playing its first three home games at 11 a.m.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.