Five thoughts on the '14 Big 12 schedule
- Oklahoma State and Texas Tech play the first Big 12 game on a Thursday night in Stillwater on Sept. 25 in what should be a compelling matchup. This will be a critical game for both teams. The Red Raiders have a very favorable schedule next year. If they can get out of Stillwater with a victory, their next toughest road game will probably be the following weekend at Kansas State. And Tech will have an extra day to prepare.
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy expressed concern about loading up the nonconference schedule. You can see why. The Cowboys have a brutal slate next year. Oklahoma State opens with Florida State in the Cowboys Classic at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Oklahoma State then closes out the season with back-to-back road tilts at Baylor and Oklahoma.
- We’ll find out quickly whether TCU will be improved. In October, the Horned Frogs play OU, at Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. Considering three of those games will be in Fort Worth, TCU has an opportunity for a bounce-back season.
- I know the game was agreed to years ago, but why play North Dakota State in your opener if you’re Iowa State? There’s nothing to gain. And, as Kansas State found out, a whole bunch to lose against the best program in the FCS.
- Texas will have a defining two-week stretch in early October. The Longhorns face Baylor in Austin on Oct. 4, then take on Oklahoma in Dallas on Oct. 11. The rest of the Longhorns’ schedule is pretty tough, too. Texas plays BYU and UCLA early in the season, then later has to go on the road to Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.