Monday, February 8, 2010
Some quick thoughts on the first half
By Richard Durrett
Some quick thoughts on the first half. No.1 Kansas leads No. 14 Texas 34-24.
* Texas came out hard, as Bob Knight noted on ESPN, and it appeared it would be a tight first half. But Texas started rushing shots, had some turnovers and couldn't buy a basket.
* Kansas went on a 22-0 run. In fact, Texas was 0-for-13 in nearly 11 minutes after taking a 14-8 lead. It left them with little momentum and down 30-14. Kansas got 16 points off nine Texas turnovers in that stretch.
* Give the Longhorns some credit for playing better in the final three minutes of the half. Kansas could have run away, but Texas stepped up its defense and made some big shots to close it to a 10-point game.
* Damion James has helped keep Texas in it. He is 6-for-9 from the field, including three 3-pointers, and has 15 points. No other Longhorn has more than 3. In fact, the rest of the Longhorns are 3-for-19 from the field.
* Kansas really suffocated Texas on defense. They grab the ball, they don't allow more than one shot very often and they make you pay on turnovers.
* That was a big 3-pointer by Avery Bradley with a minute left for the Longhorns.
* Kansas is shooting 40 percent from the field. They are 5-for-9 from 3-point land.