Dallas Colleges: 3-point stance
2. Among the four AQ conferences split into divisions, who are the only two coaches undefeated in their own divisions since the beginning of the 2012 season? Urban Meyer at Ohio State, obviously, since he is unbeaten against everyone. The other is UCLA’s Jim Mora, who takes a 7-0 record in the Pac-12 South to Arizona on Saturday night. Mora is 1-6 against the Pac-12 North, which is a reflection of both the relative strength of the two divisions and the fact that UCLA has played Stanford three times and Oregon once.
3. Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema is still looking for his first SEC victory and is one loss away from his first losing record after seven seasons at Wisconsin. But according to Bielema, the honeymoon continues. “If we weren’t doing things right, if we didn’t have kids believing in what we were saying, we’d be having problems right now,” Bielema said Monday. “We’d have kids that would be erupting on the sidelines. We’d have kids that are being problems in the classroom or doing some things that are just really disruptive to what’s going on and everybody just keeps humming, everybody just keeps sawing wood, everybody just keeps moving themselves in the right path.”
2. Oregon has won its last 15 road conference games, the longest such FBS winning streak. The Ducks have won their last game at every Pac-12 opponent save Utah (in 2003, when Utes were in MWC. Does that count?) Alabama has won nine straight road SEC games. Stanford and Texas A&M each have won their last five road conference games. The Cardinal lost to Washington in 2012 at CenturyLink Field in Seattle. However, with the victory at that stadium Saturday over Washington State, Stanford has won its last game at every opposing venue in the Pac-12.
3. Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds will announce today that he is retiring next August after 32 years. All Dodds, a former track coach, has done is transform Texas into the premier sports program in the nation. It took him three coaching hires to find Mack Brown, but 150 wins and one BCS championship in 16 seasons indicate Dodds got that one right. It’s a measure of the resources and the expectations that Dodds has raised that fans wonder why the Longhorns don’t dominate every sport in which they compete.
|Darren Rovell, who broke the Johnny Manziel autograph story, joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the latest on the situation and if Texas A&M should be concerned about Manziel's eligibility.
2. In the 60 seasons from 1948 through 2007, no program led the league in total defense (yards allowed per game) for more than two consecutive seasons. That includes Bobby Dodd’s stingy Georgia Tech defenses in the ‘50s, Bear Bryant’s Crimson Tide defenses through his 25 seasons, and Pat Dye’s physical defenses at Auburn in the ‘80s. Fast forward to today: Alabama has led the SEC in total defense for five straight seasons (shared first place with Tennessee in 2008). That’s defensive dominance.
3. It didn’t take long to figure out how Kliff Kingsbury’s relative youth (33) would work to his advantage at Texas Tech. It’s hard to imagine another head coach in the Big 12 -- or anywhere else in the BCS, for that matter -- who would bring in a DJ for the first team meeting of the season. As The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported, the impromptu karaoke served as a bonding agent for a young team. That’s a pretty shrewd move by a pretty shrewd young coach.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.