<
>

Mets activate catcher Travis d'Arnaud from disabled list

NEW YORK -- The New York Mets activated starting catcher Travis d'Arnaud off the disabled list following Thursday's loss to the San Diego Padres, and optioned catcher Anthony Recker to Triple-A Las Vegas.

D'Arnaud, batting .296 with four home runs and 17 RBIs in 19 games this season, had been on the DL since June 20 with a sprained left elbow.

"I feel great," d'Arnaud said prior to Thursday's game. "Just happy to be playing again."

Kevin Plawecki remains in the big leagues and will now serve as the Mets' backup catcher. And Plawecki should still see plenty of game time, as the Mets plan to ease d'Arnaud back into action.

"He won't be a four (games) in a row guy," Mets manager Terry Collins said of d'Arnaud. "He might play two and a day off. It'll all depend on how he feels.

"We'll kind of keep track of how he's feeling. He won't be that everyday guy just yet."

In other Mets injury news Thursday, lefty reliever Jerry Blevins has been cleared to resume throwing. Blevins has been out since suffering a fractured left forearm on April 19.

Righty Rafael Montero, on the DL since April 29 with rotator cuff inflammation in his pitching shoulder, was examined by doctors and cleared to resume throwing as well.