Dallas Colleges: Heisman watch 101612
1. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia: Smith's day wasn't as bad as the scoreboard indicated in Saturday's 49-14 loss to Texas Tech, but his lead in the Heisman race was trimmed quite a bit. He completed 29 of 55 passes for 275 yards and a touchdown, moving to 25 touchdowns and no interceptions.
2. Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State: Klein did what Klein does in a 27-21 win against Iowa State, completing 16 of 24 passes for 187 yards and rushing for three touchdowns and 105 yards on 25 carries. Go up to Morgantown and win next week, while outgunning Geno Smith? Klein is the new Heisman front-runner.
3. Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State: Randle's quietly still leading the Big 12 in rushing and averaging more than 20 yards more a game than any back in the league. He had a rough outing (29 carries, 80 yards, no TDs) against Kansas, but odds are in his favor to bounce back.
4. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma: Jones is back on the list after a pair of big wins and a pair of big performances in both of those wins. He's got a lot of ground to make up to really get back in the race, but the Sooners are back inside the top 10. That's a good start. Jones threw for 321 yards and two touchdowns against Texas, but his completion percentage still needs a lot of work.
5. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: Austin had his worst day of the season, and Stedman Bailey's absence no doubt was a big factor. He was quiet (9 receptions, 99 yards), but we'll see if he'll get back to his old ways this week. Before Saturday, he'd topped 100 yards and 10 catches in every game this season.
Here's how I voted in this week's ESPN Heisman Watch:
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.