Jerry Jones takes blame for no-show

IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Friday night that he didn't speak with wide receiver Dez Bryant and blamed himself for it.

Jones had said Thursday evening that he would speak to Bryant about a variety of issues and expected the wide receiver to get examined by the medical staff. It didn't happen.

The Cowboys owner said he became too busy with the draft and labor issues and couldn't clear his schedule to speak with Bryant. Yet Jones defended Bryant for not being at Valley Ranch. At least 20 players visited the complex to work out Friday, a group which included Tony Romo, Kevin Ogletree, Andrew Sendejo and the bulk of the offensive line.

"We had the good communication that I wanted to have," Jones said regarding his Thursday night conversation with Bryant. "It would have been redundant, that's why we did talk. We had a real good talk yesterday and that's where I like to leave it."

Like other players who are rehabbing, Bryant has been in communication with team officials through a third party. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said those players are recovering well.

It seemed as if Jones was caught off guard by the discussions surrounding Bryant, his talented yet troubled wide receiver who received a criminal trespass complaint for causing a disturbance at a Dallas mall and who has been sued for nearly $800,000 by three creditors. He's repaid roughly $246,000.

Bryant has said he's enjoyed talking with new wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson and new strength and conditioning coach Mike Woicik.

Friday was a day for Bryant to visit with those men again but it didn't happen, and now with the lockout being back in play he won't see them at all in the immediate future.

"We don't know what his schedule was since certainly two days earlier he hadn't planned to be here," Jones said. "He might have planned to be on the other side of the country, this was kind of an impromptu day for most of the people to be here."