SAN ANTONIO – The Cowboys might not be done in free agency, but Jerry Jones guaranteed that they will not sign an offensive guard.
In fact, Jones went so far to say, “Not in the offensive line.” And he repeated it a couple of times for emphasis.
Jones said he sees no need to sign a veteran such as Leonard Davis, Brian Waters or Rich Seubert to compete with Montrae Holland for the starting job at right guard despite perception that the 6-2, 340-pounder is the weak link on the offensive line. The decision to cut Davis, who was scheduled to make $6 million this season, resulted in the Holland moving up the depth chart.
Jones did say fourth-round rookie David Arkin is in a “legitimate competition” with Holland, who is considered day-to-day after missing Friday’s practice due to a sore back. However, offensive line coach Hudson Houck believes it’s important to have an experienced guard next to rookie right tackle Tyron Smith to help the No. 9 overall pick with the mental aspect of executing assignments.
Jones acknowledged that he expects Holland to start at right guard. Jones insisted he trusts Holland, who has started two games for the Cowboys and 50 games in his nine-year NFL career.
“Holland has never let us down,” Jones said. “When it comes time to get in ballgames, he plays well in ballgames. He’ll continue to get these reps and he’ll play well. I’ve never doubted him.”