TAMPA, Fla. -- After one quarter at Raymond James Stadium, the Cowboys are in control.
1. On the third play of the game, the Cowboys took out outside pass rusher DeMarcus Ware. Cowboys sent the blitz and Josh Freeman scrambled up the gut for 25 yards. The fourth play of the game, Ware was on the sidelines, but this time the Cowboys got some success on as Anthony Spencer stripped Freeman from behind to force a fumble with 12:36 to play.
2. Tony Romo did a nice job of waiting for a receiver to get open on a third-and-goal from the Tampa 8. Romo ran into guard Montrae Holland as he moved in the pocket. Miles Austin ran an underneath route short of the goal line but moved into the end zone and snatched the ball away Tampa strong safety Sean Jones.
3. On the Cowboys' second defensive possession, Jay Ratliff and Ware were on the sideline for a third-and-1, but it didn't matter. Marcus Spears did a nice job to stop LeGarrette Blount for no gain. Spears got pressure to get in the backfield to force the punt.
4. Phil Costa was cleared the play by the Cowboys' medical staff this week after suffering a concussion vs. the New York Giants. Jason Garrett hinted Kevin Kowalski might start because he played so well vs. the Giants. In fact, Romo said he was proud of how Kowalski played in the Giants game. Costa did get the start.
6. Both teams used their safeties in the box in the opening quarter.
8. Nice job by the Cowboys in how they used Sammy Morris. He caught a swing pass, gained 15 yards on a run off the right guard and ran a short route on a third down.
9. The Cowboys made it too easy in the opening moments. They ran the ball well (4.4 average) converted all three of their third down plays and protected the quarterback.
10. Dez Bryant now has a touchdown pass the last three games.