Camp observations: DeMarco Murray's big hit
Good thing Rudy Carpenter did not take a snap in team drills with the full squad.
On to the observations:
* Sometimes RBs can get a little testy when they are not allowed to go full speed. Teddy Williams was on the wrong end of a hit from DeMarco Murray on a swing pass from Romo. Williams had to be looked at by the trainers but appeared OK.
* ILB Bruce Carter flashed in pass coverage with his first interception of training camp, stepping in front of a hot route to WR Andre Holmes for a would-be pick six. Today was Carter’s day to work with the No. 1 defense. He has been alternating with Dan Connor.
* WR Dez Bryant worked on punt returns extensively in the special teams portion of practice. He had his ankle taped before the veteran practice and missed five snaps after an apparent finger injury when he was sandwiched by CB Orlando Scandrick and S Barry Church.
* Coaches like to see how quarterbacks respond after interceptions. Romo responded pretty well after Scandrick undercut a Romo throw to Holmes by going deep to Bryant in one-on-one drills on his next throw.
* It was Scandrick’s best day of training camp. In addition to the pick, he had two pass breakups, leaping to knock down a pass to Bryant in the end zone during 7-on-7 drills and batting away a slant to Kevin Ogletree.
* On the first play of two-minute drills, LB DeMarcus Ware beat LT Tyron Smith off the edge to force an early Romo throw.
* Haven’t seen FB Lawrence Vickers involved much in the passing game so far, but he had a would-be touchdown in red zone drills, taking a short dump-off over the middle to the goal line with the defense spread wide open.
* With Phillip Tanner (hand) and Lance Dunbar (hamstring) out with injuries, FB Jamize Olawale took snaps at tailback. Not bad for a guy who was a wide receiver at North Texas before getting a contract from the Cowboys off a rookie camp tryout.
* Danny Coale did a lot of running routes before practice to help his conditioning as he comes back from a stress fracture. It wasn’t full speed, but it was close and he looked pretty good. So did the arm of assistant strength coach Brett Bech, who served as the quarterback.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Jerry Jones' recent comments, Cowboys OTAs, Dez Bryant and more.
Play Podcast Todd Archer joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the latest Tony Romo news and what he will be watching for in OTAs.
Play Podcast Nate Newton joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his comments on how Jason Garrett should handle being on the hot seat and not let Jerry Jones get in the way.
Play Podcast Cowboys safety Barry Church joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the new defensive scheme and the impact it will have on him, how much more intense he expects practice to be with Monte Kiffin and his expectations.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider Ed Werder joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the latest Cowboys news, including Jason Garrett downplaying Tony Romo's involvement in offensive planning and play calling.
Play Podcast John Lynch joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss playing for Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli, why Cowboys fans should be excited about the new defensive staff, why Valley Ranch will no longer resemble a country club and his thoughts on the Cowboys' roster.
Play Podcast Herm Edwards joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the latest Cowboys news and give his take on what new face will make the biggest impact for Dallas.
Play Podcast Nate Newton joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss what he saw at the Cowboys' rookie minicamp and how he helped Rod Marinelli on the defensive side of the ball.