Calvin Watkins' practice report
|A lot of people in Oxnard are trying to sell the release of Brodney Pool as proof that Barry Church is ready to make an impact, Skin finds that comical and explains why. |
* At times we see Doug Free excel against the pass rush. Then we see him struggle. Part of the reason is footwork. Free played the left tackle spot last season and the stance and hand placement is different from when you play the right side. Expect Free to solve these problems.
* During a hard hit, Gerald Sensabaugh lost his mouth piece when trying to stop Jason Witten.
* Dan Bailey has missed just one field goal attempt this summer. He went 4-for-4 on Monday, making kicks from 27, 32, 35 and 38 yards.
* The backup wide receivers had some issues Monday. Andre Holmes dropped a pass he should have caught after C.J. Wilson tipped the ball. Dwayne Harris dropped another pass that hit him in the chest. Wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson threw his play card up in the air probably in frustration. Raymond Radway lined up on the wrong side of the line of scrimmage and was told to move to the other side. Radway jogged slowly to the other side, upsetting the coaches who made the offense go back in the huddle and take Radway out. Kevin Ogletree dropped a pass coming out of the slot. Rough day.
* On consecutive plays, fullback Lawrence Vickers did a nice job of stopping Victor Butler on the blitz.
* Rookie defensive end Tyrone Crawford has been impressive the last few practices. That continued Monday when he knocked down Tyron Smith to make a tackle.
* The Cowboys worked on situational plays, including starting at the 1 and two-minute drills. The Cowboys mainly rushed out of the first-and-10 from the 1.
* Wilson had his best day of camp. He had three pass breakups and looked good breaking to the ball.
* The last two plays of practice saw Cole Beasley make an impact. He drew a pass interference penalty on safety Mana Silva on a long pass into the end zone from Kyle Orton. It appeared the ball would have gone out of bounds. On the next play, first-and-goal from the 1, Beasley caught a touchdown pass from Orton.
* It's good to see John Hanna get some snaps with the first team with John Phillips out with an injury. Hanna is a better receiver than Phillips and needs to work on his blocking.
* Dez Bryant is a fantastic talent. The Cowboys need to use him against smaller receivers in the red zone. During the two-minute drill, Bryant, 6-2, faced Mario Butler, who is 6-1. Bryant outjumped Butler in the end zone to catch a touchdown pass from Tony Romo. Bryant has made all sorts of leaping catches this camp, both one-and-two handed.
* The offensive line play is inconsistent. The interior of the line should get a boost from Derrick Dockery and Daniel Loper, who made their practice debuts Monday.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss this week's minicamp and Dez Bryant. Claiborne will join the show to discuss the latest Cowboys news all season.
Play Podcast Ed Werder joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit and you won't believe who he says is the Cowboys' best player.
Play Podcast Cowboys wide receivers coach Derek Dooley joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to talk about Dez Bryant's talent and potential.
Play Podcast Glenn "Stretch" Smith and Matt Mosley talk about their time at Day 2 of Cowboys minicamp and discuss Monte Kiffin's defensive principles and his growing relationship with the players.
Play Podcast ESPN NFL insider John Clayton joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the Cowboys and Tony Romo missing OTAs.
Play Podcast ESPN senior NFL analyst Ed Werder joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss another busy week for the Cowboys at Valley Ranch.
Play Podcast ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss how Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and others spend lots of time with their receivers and if it matters that Tony Romo is not participating in OTAs.
Play Podcast Todd Archer joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss what he's looking for during the third session of OTAs, a potential Sean Lee contract extension and why people underestimate Miles Austin's value.