SAN DIEGO -- The Cowboys' defense forced two first-half turnovers and the offense scored a touchdown and produced a field goal. It's been a much better effort from the Cowboys than in their preseason opener as they lead the Chargers 10-0 at halftime.
* Brandon Carr has two interceptions, both on great plays attacking the receiver. Philip Rivers' pass to Vincent Brown was tipped by Carr as he jumped the route. Carr tipped the ball three times before he secured it.
* Kevin Ogletree is a different player this year. He made a leaping 35-yard reception while taking a shot from safety Eric Weddle on the way down. The play, on a deep pass from Kyle Orton, placed the Cowboys at the Chargers 5.
* The first touchdown of the Cowboys' preseason came on a run play up the middle by someone who might not be on the 53-man roster, Jamize Olawale. He's doing something Ed Wesley didn't: producing when players go down. Wesley was cut the day the Cowboys flew out here because he was late for Friday's walkthrough.
* Barry Church is normally a sure tackler, but he missed Robbie Brown in the open field, resulting in an 8-yard gain. But on the next play, Brown got hit hard by Church as Dan Connor was bringing him down.
* Carr is what the Cowboys missed last season at cornerback: a playmaker. Rivers sent a deep ball to Robert Meachem, but Carr stepped in front and snagged the ball. What made the play so good was Meachem had a few steps on Carr, but Carr caught up and made the play.
* We like how rookie tight end James Hanna made two defenders miss while catching a sideline pass from Orton.
* Something we liked in first half: Ogletree four catches for 60 yards.