Cowboys will hold off on announcing cuts officially

August, 30, 2012
8/30/12
5:01
PM ET
IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys have made some of their cuts but will not make the official announcements until Friday. Names have trickled out today from fifth-rounder Danny Coale to fullback Shaun Chapas.

“It’s a difficult day,” coach Jason Garrett said. “It’s one of the worst days that we have as players and coaches in this league. The guys have worked really hard. The one thing we try to do as an organization is talk to each player. I talk to each player, the coordinator talks to each player, the position coach talks to each player and we try to have a good conversation with them and try to the best of our ability tell them why the decision was made and give them any constructive coaching going forward. Maybe more than anything we want to thank them for the effort.”

The Cowboys will have to make 22 roster moves to reach the 53-man limit and can name an eight-player practice squad by 11 a.m. Saturday once those players pass through waivers.

The Cowboys have been active in picking up players off the waiver wire through the years but Wednesday’s kickoff against the New York Giants makes that a little more challenging.

“You have to think about this thing as a 16-game season,” Garrett said. “We picked up a receiver last year (Laurent Robinson) who didn’t play for us until about Week 3 and was pretty darn productive for us. It’s a long year. You have to manage your roster coming out of training camp leading into Week 1 but you also have to make some decisions for the whole season.”

Todd Archer

ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?