- Calvin Watkins, ESPN.com
- 0 Shares
MOBILE, Ala. -- After the first day of the Senior Bowl, we have a few notes to tell you about:
* Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett didn't attend the two Senior Bowl practices Monday. That came as a surprise, considering the South practice was attended by Alabama coach Nick Saban, who is fond of Garrett. Garrett, however, is at the Senior Bowl, huddled in a downtown hotel interviewing prospective coaches for vacancies on the staff.
* Assistant coaches are making moves with the Cowboys this week. Kicking coach Chris Boniol didn't have his contract renewed but he's here talking with teams about a job. Defensive line coach Brian Baker is also looking for possible employment. And what about Rob Ryan, the recently released Cowboys defensive coordinator? He interviewed in St. Louis but hasn't been hired for a job yet.
* Want a possible replacement for fullback Lawrence Vickers? How about Wake Forest fullback Tommy Bohanon, who was measured at 6-foot and 247 pounds at Monday's weigh-in? The last time the Cowboys drafted a fullback was 2011 when Shaun Chapas, from Georgia, was picked in the seventh-round.
* One of the best plays of the two practices came in the South practice when Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams made a diving catch in the end zone for a touchdown. Williams measures 6-1 and 201 pounds, and displayed good speed and hands in Monday's first practice.
* The Cowboys were a split group during practices Monday. Most of the Cowboys' scouts attended the practice involving the teams from the South. There is a nice quarterback group here with Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), Landry Jones (Oklahoma) and EJ Manuel (Florida State). Jerry and Stephen Jones attended the North team's practices. Some of the notable players there were Texas' defensive lineman Alex Okafor and SMU defensive lineman Margus Hunt. Of course, N.C. State quarterback Mike Glennon is also practicing.
* The Fritz Pollard Alliance is scheduled to release recommended amendments to the Rooney Rule after eight open positions were filled by white coaches. Some of the recommendations could include NFL teams being force to expand the Rooney Rule, which mandates teams to interview at least one minority candidate for a vacant job, to include any possible coordinators positions.
MOBILE, Ala. -- After the first day of the Senior Bowl, we have a few notes to tell you about:* Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett didn't attend the two Senior Bowl practices Monday.