Stephen Jones: We want Doug Free

April, 26, 2013
4/26/13
11:47
PM ET
IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys have not addressed the offensive tackle spot with their first four selections and have not reached out to the agents for veterans Tyson Clabo or Eric Winston.

While executive vice president Stephen Jones said Doug Free’s situation is “to be determined,” he was also emphatic that he wants Free to remain with the team.

The Cowboys have made a pay-cut offer to Free, who is scheduled to earn $7 million this season. Jones said they have not heard from Free or the player’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, about whether they would accept a lower salary yet.

“We want him back, how’s that?” Jones said. “We’d love to have him here. I think he’d love to be here. Now the question is, it’s got to work for him and it’s got to work for us. I have all the respect in the world for Doug. He works his ass off. He wants to play better. He knows he needs to play better. He’d be the first to tell you that.”

Free split time over the last month of the season with Jermey Parnell and performed better. The Cowboys have had some conversations with the representatives of Clabo and Winston, but they have not ventured into any negotiations.

With the draft ending Saturday, the competition in the free-agent market figures to heat up quickly.

Jones said the team would like to get something resolved sooner rather than later.

“We’ve got a little bit of money to figure out what to do with Free and you don’t have to worry about us in free agency,” Jones said.

Todd Archer

ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?

Insider