Cowboys practice report: Day 16
August, 13, 2013
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com
OXNARD, Calif. -- A feisty practice from start to finish.
- DeMarco Murray and Sean Lee love barking at each other. During a run play, the two got tangled up, and Lee and Murray yelled at each other. Jason Hatcher went over to play peacemaker. Later, Lee was upset at Terrance Williams for a low block and yelled a few bad words at the rookie. Murray and Will Allen also needed to be separated after a run up the middle.
- Allen knocked down a high pass to Jason Witten down the field. Allen put a nice shot on Witten, who lost the ball as he crashed to the ground. He was fine despite being slow to get up.
- Orlando Scandrick should have picked off a Tony Romo pass, but it bounced out of his hands for a pass breakup. Scandrick is good at reading quarterbacks but just doesn't always finish the play in terms of creating a turnover.
- Jermey Parnell participated in team drills and worked with the second team at right tackle for the first time in nearly two weeks. Parnell was very aggressive, something the coaches like because after he gets out of his stance, he attacks the defender. He also displayed some athletic ability on sweeps. Parnell did a nice job of getting to the second level for a block on a nice run by Joseph Randle.
- Rookie linebacker DeVonte Holloman had an interception in team drills and two more in the one-on-one drills.
- B.W. Webb got some work in the nickel package and is getting better in pass coverage. He's also fielding punts well. After a muff in Oakland last week, Webb caught several punts without any issues on the scout team.
- Defensive line coach Rod Marinelli was upset at the third-team defensive line. Several times he went onto the fields and had some choice words.
- As Romo avoided pressure, he connected with Dez Bryant, who made a nifty one-handed catch. During the two-minute drill, Miles Austin made a nice open-field grab on a Romo pass.
- Former Cowboy and 2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinee Larry Allen and former Cowboys offensive line coach Hudson Houck attended practice. Allen said Houck should be in the Hall of Fame.
- Actress Kate Bosworth and actor Chace Crawford attended practice.