OTA observations: Strong start for Weeden
May, 28, 2014
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com
IRVING, Texas -- The Sean Lee injury news dominated the first day of the Dallas Cowboys' organized team activities, but here's a look at some other observations from Tuesday's workout:
- With Tony Romo limited and Kyle Orton not around, Brandon Weeden was able to get the first-team work and he showed well. He didn't necessarily get more work than he would have if Romo and Orton were available, but he was able to get quality work with the starters. His best throw was a throw to the sideline over cornerback Brandon Carr to Terrance Williams. It was in a spot where only Williams could make the grab, which he did for what would have been a long gain.
- If there was a spot where Weeden struggled it was on the move. He was not as accurate on his throws on the run, missing mostly high.
- Romo went through pat-and-go, team takeoff. He threw routes on air to receivers, but he did not go through any individual work. As the other quarterbacks went through footwork drills, Romo was a spectator. He alternated every few throws and made sure most of his passes went to Dez Bryant, Williams or Jason Witten.
- Zack Martin was the starter at right guard and Mackenzy Bernadeau and Ronald Leary split the left guard snaps. Will that continue in training camp? In my opinion, it should.
- The first-team defensive line from left to right: Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, Nick Hayden, DeMarcus Lawrence. With George Selvie (shoulder) and Henry Melton (knee) recovering from offseason surgeries, Crawford moved outside, which is a sign of his versatility. McClain could be a nose tackle candidate once Melton is able to get back.
- In addition to Selvie and Melton, Morris Claiborne (shoulder), Dwayne Harris (shoulder),Caesar Rayford (shoulder), Ahmad Dixon (hip), Dashaun Phillips and Jocquel Skinner did not take part in team drills. Justin Durant and Darrion Weems did not practice at all.
- Interesting to note: Cole Beasley and Tim Benford only ran routes from the slot during the receivers individual period while the rest of the receivers worked outside.