Sunday, March 21, 2010
Video board probably staying put
By Calvin Watkins
ORLANDO -- The NFL owner's meetings start on Monday here at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando. Meetings will end at midday on Wednesday.
We'll find out some of the prime-time schedule, including the Thanksgiving Day opponent for the Cowboys, and if any new rules will be implemented for the 2010 season.
One rule we don't expect to change is the moving of the video board at Cowboys Stadium.
In the Cowboys first preseason game, Titans punter A.J. Trapasso hit the video board, which sits 90 feet above the field, prompting many to say the board was too low.
I remember Stephen Jones that night saying the board isn't going to move. He was right, as always.
Jeff Fisher, the Titans coach, said at the time the league's competition committee, which he's a co-chairman of, will have to review the 160-foot-long HD board.
Well, Rich McKay, the co-chairman of the league's competition committee, said last week the committee talked about the video board but doesn't expect it to move.
"But we again noted that it did not happen during the season," McKay said of a punt hitting the board. "We reviewed the rule that was put in place on a temporary basis for the year and we kind of like the way that rule operated and looked. Obviously it never came into play. We will resubmit that rule for a permanent rule."
In case you forgot, the rule says if a ball hits the board it's a dead ball and a re-kick is administered. Also, if the replay assistant thinks a punt hits the board he can stop play to review it as well. A coach can also challenge if a ball hit the video board if the replay assistant did not.
Also, Wade Phillips is scheduled to speak with reporters on Wednesday morning. Bright and early, like 7:15 a.m. ET.