Thursday, February 23, 2012
Jason Garrett talks Joe DeCamillis decision
By Todd Archer
INDIANAPOLIS – The Cowboys' decision to deny Oakland permission to speak with special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis earlier this offseason was made because Jason Garrett did not want to lose a good coach.
New Raiders coach Dennis Allen wanted DeCamillis to run their special teams and be assistant head coach.
“I tell every coach I’m for the coach,” Garrett said from the NFL scouting combine Thursday. “First and foremost my job is to do what’s in the best interest for the Dallas Cowboys. But having said that I’m for the coach. I want to keep every coaching advancing in this profession. Hopefully they’re advancing on our team but if there’s another opportunity with another team, I want them to do that, but the first thing we have to address is what’s in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys.”
League rules state a team only has to grant permission to another team regarding a head coaching vacancy. In 2007, Miami allowed Jason Garrett, who was the Dolphins’ quarterbacks coach, to become the Cowboys’ offensive coordinator after interviewing for the head coaching spot. Last year Green Bay allowed Jimmy Robinson to join the Cowboys as their assistant head coach.
“We have great conversations,” Garrett said when asked if he was worried about DeCamillis being upset, adding, “We’ve been judicious with this. There’s been some people we wanted to have stay here but felt like there was a better opportunity or a different opportunity. Again, we have to do what’s in the best interest of the Cowboys.”