Wednesday, August 29, 2012
First quarter: Dolphins 6, Cowboys 0
By Calvin Watkins
ARLINGTON, Texas -- The final preseason game is finally here at sleepy Cowboys Stadium. the Miami Dolphins lead the Dallas Cowboys, 6-0, after one quarter.
Some early thoughts:
* The starting offensive line consisted of Pat McQuistan and Jermey Parnell at tackle, Daniel Loper and Derrick Dockery at guard and Phil Costa at center. Costa, who missed the first three games with a strained lower back, was the only regular starter who actually started on offense.
* Kevin Ogletree and Dwayne Harris were the starting wide receivers for the second consecutive week.
* Quarterback Stephen McGee avoided blitzing linebacker Koa Misi and gained six yards on a third-and-4 to grab a first down.
* The replacement referees missed a clear pass interference call on Miami's Richard Marshall. He grabbed Ogletree's jersey near the waist, but McGee was still able to complete the pass. However, a holding call on Jermey Parnell negated the play.
* Maybe there is a battle going for the No. 3 running back spot. Phillip Tanner and Lance Dunbar both got first quarter snaps and each produced good runs.
* The Dolphins at one point had David Garrard as the starter during training camp, but a knee injury allowed Ryan Tannehill to eventually take over the starting job. Tannehill started the final preseason game Wednesday night.
* It was interesting to see that the New York Giants played their starters in the final preseason game and the Cowboys did not. Cornerback Morris Claiborne should have gotten some playing time Wednesday just to get some snaps in. He missed the first preseason game because of a sprained ligament in his knee.
* If Teddy Williams is going to make this team, he can't miss tackles in the open field. He tried to bring down receiver Legedu Naanee by the waist and couldn't hold on. Dan Connor finally knocked Naanee down after a 9-yard completion.
* Some bubble players on defense committed bad penalties on consecutive possessions. Defensive tackle Robert Callaway was penalized for lining up in the neutral zone and cornerback Mario Butler got flagged for roughing the passer on a blitz.
* Fumbles happen from time to time in the NFL, but after Williams fumbled a kickoff return, you'd expect wide receiver Danny Coale to be able to snag the loose ball from Miami kicker Dan Carpenter. Not the case. With 2:27 left, Carpenter recovered the fumble from a scrum.
* Victor Butler has looked fantastic this summer. He beat tackle Richie Incognito late in the quarter for a sack. Anthony Spencer is the starter at outside linebacker, but his long-term future with the team might be in doubt if Butler can continue this fine work through the regular season.