Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Third quarter: Cowboys 27, Dolphins 13
By Calvin Watkins
ARLINGTON, Texas -- We have 15 minutes left and the Cowboys are leading the Dolphins, 27-13.
* Cowboys front got some good pressure on Miami quarterback Matt Moore to start the second half. They forced Moore out of the pocket twice, and Tyrone Crawford picked up a third-down sack.
* Quarterback Rudy Carpenter started the second half and his first pass was a deep attempt to Andre Holmes.
* Cornerback Lionel Smith took a shot from running back built like a fullback Jorvorskie Lane and left the game with a concussion and won't return. Guard Daniel Loper left the game with a right hamstring injury and won't return. Loper was already dealing with an elbow issue. Guard Derrick Dockery left for personal reasons.
* Jerry Jones says Felix Jones has a roster spot, but the running back should be worried about playing time heading into the season. Lance Dunbar and Phillip Tanner played well in the first half. Dunbar, who is competing with Tanner to become the No. 3 running back, had a strong 27-yard punt return and broke free for a 58-yard touchdown run. It was the longest rushing touchdown of the preseason.
* Teddy Williams gave up a 20-yard completion in this quarter and looks like a man who is still learning the game. When you take chances on players such as Williams, who didn't play college football, and you switch his position from wide receiver back to receiver, there are bound to be problems. Williams isn't playing with confidence and is still trying to figure things out. It might be too late for him to make this team despite his speed and athletic ability.
* The Dolphins were 0-for-8 on third down until Lamar Miller's 6-yard run gained a first down late in the quarter.
* A little surprised to see Victor Butler in the game. He's backing up Anthony Spencer at outside linebacker and has played well the entire summer. But as the season starts, and given the injury status of several players, Butler should have sat the second half.