Tuesday, August 6, 2013
Cowboys practice report: Day 12
By Calvin Watkins
OXNARD, Calif. -- The 12th practice of training camp had a fight, some hard hitting, drops by Eric Rogers and a busy day for corner Orlando Scandrick.
- The first fight of training camp occurred when running back Lance Dunbar got into it with linebacker Ernie Sims on a run play. There were a few punches thrown during the scrum and the back judge threw a flag. Defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who wasn't involved in the play, ran onto the field and picked the ball up only to be chased by wide receiver Anthony Armstrong. There were no other skirmishes the rest of the practice, just hard hits like the one safety Barry Church laid on DeMarco Murray going up the middle.
- Rogers has struggled after a strong first week of camp. He had two drops, including one on a slant. Coach Jason Garrett talked about the younger players needing to make more plays and adjust to the NFL game. Rogers dropping passes isn't about the NFL game; it's more about making plays.
- Miles Austin made some nice catches, but he ran in a different direction on a route inside the 20 when he was running toward the end zone and Tony Romo threw a pass as if he was going across the middle. Romo then threw a deep ball to Austin down the sidelines, but the receiver stopped running and misjudged the ball in the air and dropped it.
- The defense was unreal on Tuesday. Sean Lee picked off a Romo pass, Ware had a sack and a tackle for loss, George Selvie had a tackle for loss and Scandrick and Sims did a nice job with some pass breakups.
- Scandrick had a busy afternoon. He should have picked off a Romo pass in 7-on-7, but dropped it. Defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin threw his hat down and put his hands on top of his head after the play. Scandrick almost got a pass breakup on a pass directed to Jason Witten, but Romo was able to complete it. Yet Scandrick rebounded and was able to deflect a pass away from Dez Bryant on a deep ball. Scandrick later broke up a screen pass.
- Rookie running back Kendial Lawrence had one of his best runs in camp as he sprinted through the middle of the defense for a long gain.
- During the one-on-one passing drills, the receivers had five drops.
- Mackenzy Bernadeau moved into the first-team offense at right guard. With Brandon Carr out because his fiancée had a baby, Scandrick worked with the first team. Cowboys continue to mix and match the first-team defensive lines with Sean Lissemore and Nick Hayden getting time at defensive tackle. Selvie moved up the depth chart as second-team defensive end.
- Interesting play call in the two-minute drill with new playcaller Bill Callahan. Faced with a third-and-1, the Cowboys' offense was called for offside. Now with a third-and-6, Callahan called for a pitch play to Dunbar who picked up four yards running left. Would Garrett have called for a pass play?
- Receiver Cole Beasley converted a fourth-down play with a catch-and-run on a nice throw from Nick Stephens.
- The practice ended when Stephens threw an incomplete pass to Anthony Amos.
- Cowboys signed defensive end Jabari Fletcher and guard Dennis Godfrey. Punter Spencer Benton and defensive end Monte Taylor were released.
- Latin music group The Los Lonely Boys and actor Dennis Haskins attended practice.