Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Cowboys practice report: Day 13
By Calvin Watkins
OXNARD, Calif. -- No fights in Wednesday's practice, but Lance Dunbar got some revenge on Ernie Sims and DeMarcus Ware put a hurting on Miles Austin.
- At the start of practice, Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray were sent back to the locker room to put knee pads in their uniform pants. Murray had to do it during stretching and Bryant did it afterward. So who is the uniform police? Coach Jason Garrett. It seemed as if Jason Witten didn't have knee pads in his uniform pants, but he did; they seemed to be half an inch thick.
- So how did Dunbar get revenge on Sims? After Dunbar caught a pass in the flat, he juked past the linebacker and darted downfield. Tuesday afternoon, Sims smashed into Dunbar on one play and then on the next play the two got into a scrap.
- With Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne missing practice, Orlando Scandrick and Sterling Moore were the first-team cornerbacks. In a three-receiver set, Scandrick continued to play slot and Moore and Brandon Underwood moved up as the third corner. On a deep pass play, Bryant did a shoulder fake and ran past Underwood to catch a deep pass for a score.
- Nick Hayden might start in Oakland on Friday night. He was matched with Jason Hatcher as the first-team defensive tackles.
- Tony Romo made a beautiful pass to Witten down the seam as he beat Justin Durant for a touchdown.
- This could be nothing, but it also could be something -- Dennis Godfrey received some second-team snaps at right guard over David Arkin. Mackenzey Bernadeau remained on the first team.
- After a nice catch from Gavin Escobar, cornerback Xavier Brewer gave the tight end a love tap as they ran down the field.
- One of the hardest hits of camp occurred on an end-around with Austin. As Austin was about to hit the edge, Ware smashed him to the ground. With Austin flat on his back, the defensive players yelled.
- Austin did have a good practice. He made a great catch and run out of the slant on a throw from Romo. This is where Austin is at his best. He's able to use his quickness off the line of scrimmage and get in perfect position to make the catch and run.
- With Ryan Cook out again with a back injury, it raises concerns about his future with the team.
- "Sons of Anarchy" actor Taylor Sheridan and former Dallas Cowboy Billy Davis attended practice.
- There were 2,614 fans at practice, bringing the training camp total to 43,955.