Monday, August 12, 2013
Cowboys practice report: Day 15
By Calvin Watkins
OXNARD, Calif. -- An overcast day had Gavin Escobar struggle and Jason Hatcher dominate.
- Tight end Gavin Escobar had some difficulties blocking and catching on Monday. Escobar failed to hold the block of defensive end Toby Jackson and allowed a sack. Bruce Carter pushed past Escobar and got a tackle on a DeMarco Murray run. Escobar also couldn't hold onto a pass while covered by a defender tightly.
- In a red zone drill, Dez Bryant slipped behind Carter and caught a touchdown pass in front of Barry Church.
- Jason Hatcher continues to have a strong camp, he picked up two sacks and had numerous pressures on Tony Romo. Hatcher is doing a nice job with a swim move that allows him to slip pass blockers in the gap.
- A rare sight on Monday: Dropped passes from James Hanna and Bryant.
- Orlando Scandrick had great coverage on Bryant but somehow Romo's throw got through for a score in an one-on-one drill.
- Brandon Underwood knocked a pass away for Anthony Amos during one-on-ones.
- Anthony Armstrong caught a deep ball from Nick Stephens between two defenders. Safety Jeff Heath stood there watching the ball and reacted late to the play. Armstrong jumped between the two defenders to make the catch. After Armstrong caught the pass he did a back bump with Bryant.
- When Mackenzy Bernadeau was flagged for a false start David Arkin replaced him.
- With Morris Claiborne out with a sore knee, Scandrick and Brandon Carr were the outside corners and Sterling Moore covered the slot.
- Romo connected on a deep pass to Bryant but corner Xavier Brewer didn't turn his head to see the ball. Bryant turned his head to see the pass and moved in front of Brewer to make the reception.
- Romo has gotten good line play the last two days of practices especially up the middle with Travis Frederick, Ronald Leary and Bernadeau. When the pocket does breakdown, Romo is able to quickly move out of harms way and get rid of passes. We've noticed he's not trying to force as many throws like in years past. With Jason Witten covered in a red zone drill, Romo threw the pass away instead of trying to make something work. If Romo does take a risk, it's to Bryant.
- Miles Austin fielded some punts. With B.W. Webb's muff on the punt return in the Oakland game, Cole Beasley's injury and Joseph Randle's inexperience at that position, the Cowboys might give Austin some opportunities as a returner.
- Darrion Weems (sore chest) attended practice Monday holding his helmet but didn't participate.
- In an interesting sight, Jay Ratliff was talking to Jerry Jones during practice. The two got into a verbal confrontation last season. Jones said it was like getting into it with your son. Ratliff hasn't commented on the incident.
- Jermey Parnell has returned from a strained hamstring, but isn't getting any team snaps. Edawn Coughman is the left tackle and James Nelson the right tackle on the second-team.