Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Cowboys confident in Bryant, Williams
By Calvin Watkins
ORLANDO, Fla. -- If the Dallas Cowboys go into the 2014 season with Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams as the starters at wide receivers, team executive vice president Stephen Jones is all for it.
"They were pretty good last year," Jones said. "I think there was some proof of that; we’re very confident."
Last season, Bryant and Williams combined for 18 touchdowns and 26 receptions of 20 or more yards. It was also Bryant's coming-out party, as he earned his first Pro Bowl berth with 93 catches for 1,233 yards. Williams, in his rookie season, had 44 catches for 736 yards.
The Cowboys released Miles Austin, saving $5.5 million as a post-June 1 cut, and that means the team will go with younger receivers in addition to Bryant and Williams. Cole Beasley and Dwayne Harris are also on the depth chart.
"We're not saying we will rule a veteran out, but right now we’re obviously comfortable," Jones said. "And we’ll see what happens in the draft, and at some point if we feel like we need to supplement the group, then we’ll look at it."