Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Dallas Cowboys [Print without images]

Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Cowboys won't host Manziel, Bridgewater

By Calvin Watkins

The Cowboys, according to multiple sources, have no plans to bring in two of the top quarterbacks in the NFL draft -- Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater -- to Valley Ranch.

NFL teams can host up to 30 college prospects at their facilities prior to the draft.

Manziel
Bridgewater
Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he’s committed to Tony Romo, and despite the team trying to get younger with its roster, Jones quickly shot down any theories he’s in a rebuilding mode.

With his team getting younger, the Cowboys signed a 30-year-old backup quarterback, Brandon Weeden, with two years of NFL experience.

However, it’s interesting the Cowboys won’t bring at least one of the two quarterbacks to their facility for a private chat.

The New England Patriots have a scheduled visit with Manziel on Wednesday.

The Cowboys have met with the quarterbacks at some point during the draft process, either at the scouting combine or at pro days.

A Cowboys official described Bridgewater’s pro day as “good,” despite various reports that he struggled. Cowboys quarterback coach Wade Wilson said he was impressed with Manziel’s pro day last week.

“He played under center on all the throws,” Wilson told the Cowboys' website last week from the pro day. “He showed drop-back throws, quicks, and he threw the ball all over the field. So I was very impressed. He was very accurate and had plenty of velocity on the throws, as well.”

Romo, who turns 34 at the end of the month, is recovering from back surgery, and team officials say he’s on target to begin the offseason program on April 21.

While the Cowboys might not draft Manziel or Bridgewater because each might be off the board by the 16th pick, that doesn’t necessarily mean the team won’t select a quarterback.

The team has interest in several quarterbacks, yet needs on defense have taken a high priority.

Jones said last week that the Cowboys’ free-agency moves -- signing three defensive linemen, headlined by defensive tackle Henry Melton -- have placed the franchise in a mode of getting the best player available.

“Yes,” Jones said. “Yes, we can, without equivocation. We can.”