Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Cedar Hill ATH tops area recruits on ESPN 150
It's a big day in the football recruiting world, with the initial ESPN 150 for the Class of 2013 being released.
Texas is well represented on the list of the nation's top recruits, but the Lone Star state's numbers have slipped from last year. There are 19 Texans on the new list, down from 24 on the final ESPN 150 for 2012.
This year's list has eight players from the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The final 2012 list had 12 DFW recruits, led by Denton Ryan's Mario Edwards Jr. at No. 1 and Aledo's Johnathan Gray at No. 2.
The top-rated area recruit among next year's seniors is speedy Cedar Hill athlete LaQuvionte Gonzalez, who already has committed to Texas A&M. Gonzalez lined up at running back, receiver, defensive back, punt returner and kick returner last season for coach Joey McGuire.
Right behind Gonzalez at No. 53 is another speedster, DeSoto's Dontre Wilson. The running back, being recruited as an athlete, has a dozen BCS offers but remains uncommitted.
Here are the area players on the list:
50. LaQuvionte Gonzalez, Cedar Hill, Athlete, Texas A&M
53. Dontre Wilson, DeSoto, Athlete, uncommitted
78. Jake Raulerson, Celina, OT, Texas
85. Justin Manning, Dallas Kimball, DT, uncommitted
87. Kent Perkins, Lake Hollands, OT, Texas
101. Joas Aguilar, Birdville, OG, Texas A&M
133. A'Shawn Robinson, Fort Worth Arlington Heights, DT, Texas
138. Mike Mitchell, Plano Prestonwood Christian, OLB, uncommitted
Find the full list here. Loganville (Ga.) Grayson defensive end Robert Nkemdiche, who is uncommitted, is No. 1.